Unexpected colours in (older) light switch | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Unexpected colours in (older) light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

jharries

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to change this double switch over to a trailing-edge dimmer for compatible LEDs.
We have three bunches of wires.
The colours I've encountered don't seem to conform to the old system, we have two blues and two whites in the mix.
See pic…
So the advice I need is, does it look OK right now?
Should I just replicate like-for-like on the new dimmer (L1, L2, common 'arrow and wavey line symbol')?
The lights have been working fine for years FYI.
Many thanks!
Joe[ElectriciansForums.net] Unexpected colours in (older) light switch

That is pre 1966 wiring colours and the cables will not incorporate earths. This can be replaced providing the new accessory is not metal which would need an earth, you also have a wooden back box. It maybe worthwhile getting your wiring checked out through an EICR.

That is pre 1966 wiring colours and the cables will not incorporate earths. This can be replaced providing the new accessory is not metal which would need an earth, you also have a wooden back box. It maybe worthwhile getting your wiring checked out through an EICR.
Thank you! I didn't realise the wiring was QUITE that old… I'll replace it carefully.

Reply to Unexpected colours in (older) light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net