Upgrading an existing consumer unit with RCBOs | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Upgrading an existing consumer unit with RCBOs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NickTG

DIY
Reaction score
hi there I have a plastic consumer unit that was installed about 8 years ago - inside is the standard array with RCD. Im planning to switch to RCBOs (and cost wise I actually bought a fully populated consumer unit as it works out a lot cheaper )

my question is to comply and get through a landlord electrical safely check can i just replace the suite of MCBs(+RCD) with RCBOs or do i need to change the entire box for a metal one ?

The box is by CED but im planning on using BG RCBOs

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Upgrading an existing consumer unit with RCBOs
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-12 at 1.06.21 PM.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 60
If as you say you bought a fully populated board this should be metal, why not use that.
thanks everyone for the comments / have decided to use the new metal box - its just a bit smaller than the existing one and its recessed a bit into the wall so requires some plastering around the sides - so was just trying to avoid doing the cosmetic work after the upgrade

Last edited:

Reply to Upgrading an existing consumer unit with RCBOs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
What is the distance from the point outside the house to the shed?
Replies
Views
Sockets will probably be ok on one, a little inconvenient in the event of a fault though, I'd probably like a 7th rcbo in. Wonder if hes linked...
Replies
Views
suffolkspark
S
  • Question
I’ve not got any, just had a quick look on Google there. That might actually work, never realised you could get something to fit, thanks for that
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having a transformer on the loose inside the CU seems bad practice, but putting it in an external DIN box would seem the obvious solution. Better...
Replies
Views
  • Question
... and reading a bit further on in the big brown book, 534.4.7, SPD installation in conjunction with RCDs:
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks