Use of 20AX switches in spurs off ring main | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Use of 20AX switches in spurs off ring main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wikipedia says:

"A wall socket or outlet (also known as a power point in the UK,[1] receptacle in the US,[2] general purpose outlet or GPO in Australia and New Zealand,[3] and less commonly plug socket[4] or wall plug[5]) built into the wall of a building, connected to energized electrical wires. Because it has holes it is known as a female connector. Sockets may also appear on portable equipment, such as portable generator, extension cords or power strips, but are still generally the half of the connection that provides the electricity. "

"A plug (also known as plug top in the UK[6]) generally has matching pins (also known blades or prongs in the US, especially if flat) so it is known as a male connector, and it is connected by a mains cable (power cord) or physically built into a piece of electrical equipment that consumes electricity. Some types of socket have male pins and the matching plugs have female contacts, but for safety reasons these are only used for earthing (grounding in US English). Some plugs have built-in fuses for safety."

Personally I hate the terms "plug socket" and "plug top" but unfortunately some customers insist on using them.

Re the argument about above worktop isolators; a lot of my customers didn't like them, so a socket in an adjoining cupboard is sufficient.

Re the OP's question; App 15 is the informative guide to spurs off RFC. Would a 20A DP switch, followed by a 13A socket could be construed as more than outlet? Done it loads myself, but perhaps thats his sparks thinking.
I wouldn’t say so the 20A switch is simply a replacement for a socket and the socket switched by the 20A switch is effectively an unfused spur

Sorry but that’s not correct. They are required by Scottish Building Standards, so the statement isn’t actually correct.

Mandatory Standard 4
4.8.5 Access to manual controls

...Where sockets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a kitchen, separate switching should be provided in an accessible position to allow appliances to be isolated.

Fixtures (sockets/switches) etc should be acted at lease 150mm above he worktop. (I've paraphrased that whole paragraph).

I appreciate you don’t have to fit them in England and Wales as far as I know? Either way it’s good practice for emergencies. I think little sparks comments are very pertinent. Do you not fit shower isolator switches in bathrooms or oven isolators in kitchens then?

To the op - if your electrician has an issue with the switches and the supply cable to the load not being protected why no incorporate a FCU module into the grid switch?
that's what I do

Reply to Use of 20AX switches in spurs off ring main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net