Using the safe zone from another circuit? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Using the safe zone from another circuit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
A door has been moved, so I'm moving a light switch.

Originally thought I was going to have to put the cable in earthed conduit as it's outside of safe zones (although RCD'd).

Started wondering about "creating" a new safe zone. Was planning on installing a new double socket, pretty much below where the old light switch was. Can I use the safe zone created by this socket to run the light switch cable, to save the hassle of conduit?

For a start earthed metalic conduit etc only applies to circuits buried at a depth of less than 50mm WITHOUT RCD/RCBO protection but if a cable runs to an accessory such as a switch front or socket then i dont think safe zones apply as its obvous that a cable will be in the vicinity of either of these accessories...i think it just applies to cables being run without any means of identifying themselves...but check this with others on here...........

If you move the light switch then you have created a new safe zone. It has to be assumed that there may be cables installed within the wall either directly above, below or horizontal from your new switch. It is irrelevant where you put the socket, cos the same rules apply as for moving the light switch.

Cheers..........Howard

Glennspark, I'd originally thought the earthed conduit wasn't necessary for non-RCD'd circuits, but was told I'd need it when I mentioned my project on here a few weeks back. Was going to re-read everything in the OSG but not had chance.

SirKit Breaker, unfortunatly the cable still drops from above where the old switch used to be. Now it's gone, I'm assuming it's safe zone is too. Need to drop it down to the horizontal safe zone created by the new switch, which is why i thought I could make the area safe again by putting the new socket directly below.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Final circuits buried in a wall at a depth of less than 50mm and not given adiquate protection from nails, screws and the like by an earthed metalic conduit, trunking etc shall have ADDITIONAL protection by means of an RCD with a residual operating current not exeeding 30mA........

Thanks for that, saves me a lot of faffing about. Wish I'd checked the OSG myself sooner, would have had the job finished by now if I'd known it was going to be so simple!

The use of an RCD for additional protection for cables concealled in walls at adepth less than 50mm, is only acceptable if the cables are run in safe zones.
If the cable is outside of a safe zone, then another means of additional protection must be applied.
The other means of additional protection being: Using a cable incorporating an earthed metallic sheath, using earthed conduit or trunking, providing mechanical protection sufficient to prevent the cable being penetrated by screws and nails or burying the cable at a depth greater than 50mm.
Using a safe zone, that is provided by another accessory is aceptable, as is using a safe zone that is provided by an accessory on the reverse side of a wall, if the thickness of the wall is 100mm or less, and the zone is easily identifiable.

As long as there is an accessory in vertical or horizontal line with your cable it is in a safe zone...it does not matter if the accessory is unrelated to the cable.

I agree, but if someone were to try to locate the cables prior to drilling into the wall, they may be forgiven for looking behind the socket, seeing the cables exiting the backbox downwards, and assuming the area above the socket to be clear. I think it's always a bit risky running cables in a wall which are not a straight line.

i think the OP means that by moving the switch, he has to have the cable run partly horizontal. this could be achieved safely by making the horizontal part of the cable run <6" below the ceiling, then dropping vertically to the switch.

i think the OP means that by moving the switch, he has to have the cable run partly horizontal. this could be achieved safely by making the horizontal part of the cable run <6" below the ceiling, then dropping vertically to the switch.

If you could I would agree with Tel, take the cable where the light switch used to be back up to the safe zone which is 150mm from the top and run the vertical run in that safe zone to your new switch location. Is this possible?

Reply to Using the safe zone from another circuit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net