Very SMART, this meter!!! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Very SMART, this meter!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jay Sparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
[ElectriciansForums.net] Very SMART, this meter!!! [ElectriciansForums.net] Very SMART, this meter!!!

So I came across this new meter yesterday....never seen one before but basically, you turn the little white plastic screw to the right of the the red sealed bit
and this isolates the line supply. Then you remove the cover and fit your tails, put the cover back and turn the white screw again to turn supply back on!!! Simpless. You cant get the cover off with out isolating the the line, so no need for a seal. Great idea, I just wonder why they dont now fit these as standard????? Any one else come across em????

Jay

P.S Big shout out go's to darkwood for his help full tip on installing google chrome, so I can insert my pics on this forum....and my enter button works now!!

:punk:

From what I've read they're supposed to be phasing in this type of meter across the entire UK. The combined isolator will make life easier for sparkies but I'm not a big fan of smart meter networks and the associated privacy issues.

Its been delayed till later this yr but the issue here is the snooping their gonna do as they can by the traits of the load demand etc learn your habits.... not everyone wants this but agree with the isolator just wondering if the isolator is really only on this brand as ive not seen it before and these meter know if they have been powered down so illegal pulling of the cutout fuse will be easier to follow up, and prove who did it. All the ones ive seen don't have the isolator.

From what I've read they're supposed to be phasing in this type of meter across the entire UK. The combined isolator will make life easier for sparkies but I'm not a big fan of smart meter networks and the associated privacy issues.

That's not a smart meter!

According to the yellow label you can only work on the system if you are NIC or ECA registared, looks like im out of work with my napit registration.

The meter is a good idea though.

From what I have heard the suppliers do not want to fit built in isolators to smart meters and are not going to be forced to do so, nor are they going to be asked to fit seperate isolators. With a smart meter pulling the fuse is supposed to flag a problem with the supplier as there is a potential outage, how true this is I don't know.

Its been delayed till later this yr but the issue here is the snooping their gonna do as they can by the traits of the load demand etc learn your habits.... not everyone wants this but agree with the isolator just wondering if the isolator is really only on this brand as ive not seen it before and these meter know if they have been powered down so illegal pulling of the cutout fuse will be easier to follow up, and prove who did it. All the ones ive seen don't have the isolator.

Ive come across a few new service heads and meters within the past few months but they were nothing like this one. Its not a smart meter, I just think its a smart idea, hence the title..lol I just dont get why some are being fitted but others are not?? This one was in Burnley, so may be it go's by area???

Jay

As daft as this is, I get the impression that whichever region it is, what gets fitted is whatever they get a particular deal on from the manufacturer - at the end of the day its the energy companies that have to buy them, and we all know how they like their profit margins to be....

As daft as this is, I get the impression that whichever region it is, what gets fitted is whatever they get a particular deal on from the manufacturer - at the end of the day its the energy companies that have to buy them, and we all know how they like their profit margins to be....

You are sort of correct, at any one time they fit a multitude of different meters, depending on supply type, pre pay, tariff etc. etc.
Those particular meters are only fitted on new supplies (or new cut outs) which have the solid tamperproof link between meter and cut-out as seen at bottom of picture.

I just had my meter changed last Friday, was an 'upgrade' Npower are doing. It's the same meter as the last

Reply to Very SMART, this meter!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net