Virtual wiring practice | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Virtual wiring practice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all,

I have been looking for an online tool or site that I can practice my wiring .. does one exist - I can't find it ??

I am starting my level 3 after a year out and want to get my practice in..

Alternatively could anyone point me in the direction of a mock set up I could do at home?

Mark

Personally I think they are crap. Very poor construction and gives false positives. Have watched a couple of trainees with those and see them looking puzzled when all the lights go red and it bleeps even when the circuit is dead. I am sure there is some very good technical explanation as to why it does that but when you are dead testing you dont want the unexpected. Fluke two pole voltage tester T90 at least I would say.

Upvote 0
Personally I think they are crap. Very poor construction and gives false positives. Have watched a couple of trainees with those and see them looking puzzled when all the lights go read and it bleeps even when the circuit is dead. I am sure there is some very good technical explanation as to why it does that but when you are dead testing you dont want the unexpected. Fluke two pole voltage tester T90 at least I would say.
Thank you yet again !

Upvote 0
Personally I think they are crap. Very poor construction and gives false positives. Have watched a couple of trainees with those and see them looking puzzled when all the lights go red and it bleeps even when the circuit is dead. I am sure there is some very good technical explanation as to why it does that but when you are dead testing you dont want the unexpected. Fluke two pole voltage tester T90 at least I would say.

That's probably when they've 'woken it up' by touching the probes together. This puts it in resistance check mode.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the stupid question.. but In college we used the expensive Megger multimeters and we obviously get readings whilst dead testing.

With these meters, I take it you either correct or incorrect no specific reading ?

Upvote 0
Don't use a yellow site transformer to feed a mock-up test board of domestic wiring!

The transformer output is centre-tapped to earth, i.e. both the circuit conductors are lines and there is no neutral. If you are rigging up normal domestic wiring the switches, MCBs etc are single-pole and therefore not suitable. All switchgear downstream of a CT-E transformer must be double-pole, and any live testing you do will be completely out of whack.

Upvote 0
Don't use a yellow site transformer to feed a mock-up test board of domestic wiring!

The transformer output is centre-tapped to earth, i.e. both the circuit conductors are lines and there is no neutral. If you are rigging up normal domestic wiring the switches, MCBs etc are single-pole and therefore not suitable. All switchgear downstream of a CT-E transformer must be double-pole, and any live testing you do will be completely out of whack.
It's okay.. I'm scrapping that idea. Going to concentrate on wiring and testing whilst not energised till I'm more confident.

Upvote 0
Energising is really the very last stage anyway and even the dead tests should be something of a formality. If you are practising craft skills of intstallation work, most errors you commit will be evident to the naked eye and by feel. If work is carried out correctly and looks and feels right, it will almost certainly test fine. OTOH, testing will not necessarily reveal poor quality work; only work that is so bad it doesn't even function from the get-go.

When your work is demonstrably sound and consistent, and your dead test results dependable, then it will be quite safe to energise your board with real mains.

Upvote 0
Energising is really the very last stage anyway and even the dead tests should be something of a formality. If you are practising craft skills of intstallation work, most errors you commit will be evident to the naked eye and by feel. If work is carried out correctly and looks and feels right, it will almost certainly test fine. OTOH, testing will not necessarily reveal poor quality work; only work that is so bad it doesn't even function from the get-go.

When your work is demonstrably sound and consistent, and your dead test results dependable, then it will be quite safe to energise your board with real mains.
Thank you for this!

Upvote 0

When your work is demonstrably sound and consistent, and your dead test results dependable, then it will be quite safe

In college we used the expensive Megger multimeters and we obviously get readings whilst dead testing.

With these meters, I take it you either correct or incorrect no specific reading ?

In college we used the expensive Megger multimeters and we obviously get readings whilst dead testing.

Upvote 0
I recall we must have used a transformer when building test rigs a bit of time ago now. We had to be careful not to mix the lamps up because of the xformer supply. I suppose seeing the Yellow site transformers there I just assumed that was what was used I can see how that would not work. As a matter of fact do you actually have an MFT @mjtefc9 or is that a bit too far away financially. There was an MFT on here pretty cheap, don't know if it's gone now though. Search KT65DL if you are interested.

Upvote 0
I recall we must have used a transformer when building test rigs a bit of time ago now. We had to be careful not to mix the lamps up because of the xformer supply. I suppose seeing the Yellow site transformers there I just assumed that was what was used I can see how that would not work. As a matter of fact do you actually have an MFT @mjtefc9 or is that a bit too far away financially. There was an MFT on here pretty cheap, don't know if it's gone now though. Search KT65DL if you are interested.
Thanks.. no I don't have one yet. I didn't want to spend hundreds yet, and a few on her suggested voltage and continuity testers with proving units.. but I don't think they will do my testing needs will they?

Upvote 0
Well it's hard to gauge where exactly you are at. I am guessing you mostly want to build a rig and just practice real life scenarios/installation techniques. Such as a mini ring circuit, lighting circuits etc. So testing may not be so critical at the moment. I think a voltage tester was suggested for safe isolation in case you go a step further and liven up the rig. You would need an MFT for the full set of tests. I think there was also an insulation tester as well being sold in the past couple of days. That would be handy for you if you do go live as at least you can determine on a dead test whether there would be a big bang if you switched it on. This making it safer for you, and you could be more confident before switching on. It was quite cheap (£80) I think. i.e. if your reading was below regs requirements you would have to investigate before going live.

Upvote 0
You know I bet there is loads of kit thrown out by the sparks on here. I was just thinking if you or others wanted say a consumer unit or emergency light etc. I say that because I have a box change coming up and there will be a consumer unit that will just get recycled or you might be able to use it. Imagine doing a rig with a consumer unit and a few circuits, attempting to do a dummy trial on that. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Will this do everything I need?? And do you think it's good value? I'll get it calibrated through work..

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Virtual wiring practice
    Screenshot_20201115-141109_eBay.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Reply to Virtual wiring practice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net