W2D3…. EV charging question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss W2D3…. EV charging question in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Solutions
Reaction score
Actually a valid question for day 3

My daughters place of work has bought a 7kW EV charge point (project EV from screwfix, with RFID) and asked me to run in a supply for it and set it up.

Looking at the board, there’s a space for a 3 phase charger.

Now, the question is, would advising them to go with a 22kW 3 phase version be beneficial?

Ok, charging will be quicker… but is that only for certain vehicles? Would some cars just cap it at 7kW anyway?

We a 22kw evse at work but I don't think many vehicles can use all that,there not really a charger they just supply the AC power when the vehicle ask for it.the charger is in the vehicle,unless its a fast DC charger.

EV charging is a complete minefield and depends a lot on the vehicle(s) being charged some can only charge on single phase even when plugged into a 3 phase chargepoint then you also have the maximum power level the EV can charge at with some vehicles charging at a maximum of 3Kw while others will take the 11 or 22Kw when available
I did a manufacturers course a 2 years ago and they highlighted some of the support calls they often receive on this subject a common one was being recommended a 22Kw charger when the EV they had could only charge at a maximum 11Kw or having a 3 phase chargepoint installed when the EV could only take a single phase charge

Ok…. So if it’s a 3ph charge point, but car doesn’t take full 22kW…. Does it take a 1/3 on each phase, or all from one?

Basically, it sounds like they should stick to the single phase 7kW

You could put 3 3phase chargepoints in on one supply cable looped between each chargepoint with the phases rotated at each chargepoint and with load management they would regulate the available charge capacity on each chargepoint within the supply available depending on the EV's connected, by rotating the phases at each chargepoint that would enable 3 EV's that only charge from L1 to each have their own phase if you have an EV connected that can charge from 3 phase then the single phase capacity at the other points would be reduced

its only one charge point at the moment, @UNG.... but the question is, should i recommend a 3ph chargepoint, as the they have a 3 phase supply... or just keep the single phse charge point they have already purchased, and i just pick the phase with the lowest load on it? (which ill have to check as they turn machines on and off)

I think you need to discuss with the client what their longer term plan is with regard to EV's and charging
A 3 phase charge point installed now with a large supply that would allow looping to future chargepoints and then enabling load management could be an option that coupled with a back office application allow for charging users. Obviously initial cost v's future costs has to be a consideration and while the initial cost may be higher future expansion would be then more cost effective
I have a PDF of the powerpoint slides used on one EV charging course I attended that explains the multiple chargepoint options and configurations which I could email to you if it would be any help

Last edited:
Update

Customer was happy for me to fit what they supplied… and it’s been straightforward.

However, getting it online is proving a struggle.

When first powered up, it broadcasts its own Wi-Fi hotspot for the installer to connect to, then go into the settings and tell the charge point how to connect to the local networks.
Some other units use Bluetooth, but really, it’s just a way to get into the settings.

My phone, and today I tried my laptop… do not find the units hotspot.

I tried the manufacturers advice line, and they said to split the broadband into its 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies as the unit only uses 2.4…. Nothing about that in their MI or FAQ.

When I’m local to site, I can actually somehow access the unit with the app…. But limited to changing the user mode from app, RFID, and plug-n-play…. But nothing else.

customer says they will just use the RFID card, without the app… but that’s not satisfactory in my eyes.

Anyone fitted a Project EV charge point and had the same problem?

Not familiar with the Project EV kit
As with most things in data networks does it need a power it off count to 10 power it on again cycle to reset / refresh it all and start again

Yeh…. As the thing only broadcasts it’s hotspot for a few minutes, got to be quick…

Then it’s a power down, wait a minute, restart situation

Little update on this job.

It’s been a bit of a hassle… ok, I’ve been there almost daily, dropping my daughter off, so I can spend a little time trying things… she’s on overtime, so I’m there at 7am, but the electric car doesn’t come until later, and not every day….

I cannot find the Wi-Fi hotspot built into the charge point… Had the customers IT department create a 2.4GHz network… still couldn’t find it.

Email support said try connecting a laptop via Ethernet cable… Great… but it took a while to find the socket on the charge point, AND find a laptop in the house with the same. Had to steal the younger daughter’s laptop, because mine is fully Wi-Fi.

Connecting a laptop means changing the network adaptors to a static IP, then browsing to the charge points IP, with a port number…
Mixed up myself by using a slash between IP and port instead of a colon….

What am I like….

Got it all sorted this morning, plugged in, into the page… change what’s needing to be changed…. And I won’t know until later when the EV is back on site I’m picking her up at 4:45, so hopefully everything is ok.

Just a note though… out of all the chargers I’ve installed… (ok, not many) but between Project EV, ICS, and Hypervolt… Hypervolt with the Bluetooth set up was the most straightforward, and no issues.

Reply to W2D3…. EV charging question in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net