W4D5 ENGLISH smoke detector rules | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss W4D5 ENGLISH smoke detector rules in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Solutions
Reaction score
What’s the rules regarding locations of smoke detectors in an English property, and are the 10 year battery aico with RF acceptable?

Yes, I had to get my passport out and cross the border.

The ground floor flat consists of front door straight into lounge. Door into hallway to kitchen, with bedroom off to side of hallway. Kitchen into a back hall with bathroom and a back door.

I’m thinking just a smoke detector in the lounge, and a heat detector in the kitchen. I don’t think one in the hallway is needed… but it means the bedroom may be 2 closed doors away from an alarm.
At least there’s two escape routes.

What’s your thoughts?

This is it though…. To put one following the letter of the law, so to speak… would be a smoke in the hallway outside the bedroom door… then a heat in the kitchen as a high risk area.
Does the English rules ask for one in lounge, as the Scottish ones do?

I know it’s just a difference between having 2 or 3 detectors…
And considering in my own house, I’ve got one in lounge, into the hallway which has another, into the kitchen which has a detector… so actually no difference there… it’s just I have a smoke detector upstairs which this flat won’t have, and an adjoining garage which has a heat detector in it.

Customer is talking about having gas installed, so that’ll be a co detector at the boiler… but that’s standalone… doesn’t need linked.

Reply to W4D5 ENGLISH smoke detector rules in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net