Wago box in a wall? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wago box in a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave 85

Hypothetical one this
Can anyone see a reason why you shouldn't have a wago box plasterered into a wall as long as its in a safe zone

Hypothetical one this
Can anyone see a reason why you shouldn't have a wago box plasterered into a wall as long as its in a safe zone
Is this a trick question Dave :) .... depends what's in the wago box. If it's wago's then it's technically not allowed as not an MF fitting. Just solder and double heat shrink it, jobs a good un.

Wogo boxes are supposed to be MF, so there should not be an issue if they are behind the wall or not. Crimp or solder is a better deal and cheaper as well.

Why do you want to use a wogo instead of crimping and heat shrink - much cleaner finish and looks better as well

Well 526.2 still suggests solder joints, with the proviso: that where used the design should take account of creep, mechanical stress and temp rise under fault conditions.

So are wagos MF or not? I don't like crimping solid core, I can nearly always pull the joint apart if I pull hard enough even after buying a new CK crimper.

And yes I mean plastered into a solid wall, let's assume the circuit is dead while the filling is done

The problem was that the fittings were not actually marked MF as required by 526.3(vi) so didn't comply. If you have one there take a peek at it.

I'd have no problem using them, other than that ... I think they're great. I prefer the lever ones to push fit, but in this case push fit would be better.

yes wogos are MF - thats what they are claiming!

I cant see anything wrong with putting them in a wall - but why dont you put them into a box to give them a bit of air around them so if needed you can remove if needed in the future.

If you pull hard enough you will be able to pull the cable out of the wago boxes as well.

The issue is how hard you pull - there should not be any strain on the cable anyway - if your worried about strain on the cable then put clips either side of the joint to ensure that no strain is put on the cable - if you are putting strain on the cable you need to use a different type of cable

I always thought Wago boxes were maintenance free. Thats the whole idea of them. Also you should NOT crimp solid conductors. Therefore a wago box would be much better than crimping.

Right that's agreed then, they are MF, Im doing it the next time the opportunity arises. To be fair, as its plastered into a wall, noones gonna find out about it till im 80 anyway so I may as well just twist and tape.....

I agree with adammid above, crimps suck balls on solid core....and I don't even own a soldering iron.

I asked at ELEX and they said they were undergoing testing at the moment. They don't have the MF mark on them so under BS7671 they are not officially maintenance free. Having said that who is to know?

I've never used the official wago box so wouldn't know if they have a cord grip, if they have, I would think it's fine.
I use the Hagar MF JB's and know they are fine to hide in walls but as stated, I'd be a bit worried about wet plaster ingress.

I find it frustrating that they are still leading people to believe that WAGO are maintenance free.
Yes, the regs require a maintenance free accessory to have mf on them but the mf is not the technicality, it is the rating of the components inside.

The connectors also need to meet certain tests inside the enclosure they will be used in. wAGO have been singing the "currently undergoing testing" song since November last year. If they haven't passed yet they are unlikely ever to. I think it's time they came clean and confirmed that they do not meet BS7671 mf requirements.

Other than crimping etc, there are currently two options available for MF. Hager mf which can not be covered and LINE mf.

Reply to Wago box in a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net