Wago box in a wall? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wago box in a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave 85

Hypothetical one this
Can anyone see a reason why you shouldn't have a wago box plasterered into a wall as long as its in a safe zone

Just used my first wago's today, brilliant!

I only discovered them a couple of weeks ago, cant beleive how I got by without them. Its when you got like 6 or 7 lighting cables to put in a JB that has to fit through a 75mm downlighter hole......those were the times when I used to think "there must be an easier way"
Now there is. Did exactly this twice today infact with wago boxes.

Hagar mf state "do not cover" so no, you can not build into solid wall

Whats the flippin point of having a MF JB that you can't hide. Are they saying they aren't MF? What a waste of bloody time. I'll just stick to crimping which like others say, is a hit and miss affair with solid stand cables. Still, I can't remember any time that I've actually used them in walls anyway, only under floorboards.

I find it frustrating that they are still leading people to believe that WAGO are maintenance free.
Yes, the regs require a maintenance free accessory to have mf on them but the mf is not the technicality, it is the rating of the components inside.

The connectors also need to meet certain tests inside the enclosure they will be used in. wAGO have been singing the "currently undergoing testing" song since November last year. If they haven't passed yet they are unlikely ever to. I think it's time they came clean and confirmed that they do not meet BS7671 mf requirements.

Other than crimping etc, there are currently two options available for MF. Hager mf which can not be covered and LINE mf.

Please clarify the exact reason why Line products can be covered and Hagar can't. I'm confused. I checked with my biggest local wholesaler (Denmans) last week to see if he stocked LINE product, the manager didn't even know the brand name. Tomorrow I'm gonna check with Edmunsons, Devondale and Newy's, if they don't know about them you've got some marketing to do! ;0)

Whats the flippin point of having a MF JB that you can't hide. Are they saying they aren't MF? What a waste of bloody time. I'll just stick to crimping which like others say, is a hit and miss affair with solid stand cables. Still, I can't remember any time that I've actually used them in walls anyway, only under floorboards.

Just use the LineProducts "torpedoes" with their MF kit. (see the sponsor link to the right). Fantastic kit!

well ive started crimping recently and love it. quick tug and cables under no strain jobs a gooden. i do like look of line products /wago products both the same but everytime i go to order of net it seems im spending about 80 quid on 50 junction boxes.. and put it off

well ive started crimping recently and love it. quick tug and cables under no strain jobs a gooden. i do like look of line products /wago products both the same but everytime i go to order of net it seems im spending about 80 quid on 50 junction boxes.. and put it off

Don't put it off mate. I got the wago contractors box (which is fantastic value), along with a box of Line enclosures. I also use the Line MF kits and top the wago box up with Line connectors (wago equivalent) when I need them. Set for anything now. Will never use a round junction box again :)

Please clarify the exact reason why Line products can be covered and Hagar can't. I'm confused. I checked with my biggest local wholesaler (Denmans) last week to see if he stocked LINE product, the manager didn't even know the brand name. Tomorrow I'm gonna check with Edmunsons, Devondale and Newy's, if they don't know about them you've got some marketing to do! ;0)

Devondale have stock! ... But yes, loads of marketing to do.... Get them to look in June pe.

Covering: enclosures/JB's that have the connectors integral, secured or held in place need to have additional testing for heat build up. This is because at least one face (usually more e.g. 6 in a wagobox)is covered by the body of the enclosure which reduces heat dissipation. If the jb is borderline pass then covering then enclosure will limit heat loss through the body further... Some heat will escape through the enclosure face that is covering the connector. If this heat loss is prevented it may push the connector into the fail zone. LINE ( or a wall box) leave connector with air all around so heat can escape from all 6 sides into the surrounding air and then dissipate through the entire surface of the enclosure.

The powers that be have proved this in a laboratory which is the reason for the extra tests. Connectors/connections are also not made to the same rating spec as cable so can not cope with the same logic for derating. As most failures and fires originate from faulty connections I do not think that this is acceptable but that's the BSI for you!

I only discovered them a couple of weeks ago, cant beleive how I got by without them. Its when you got like 6 or 7 lighting cables to put in a JB that has to fit through a 75mm downlighter hole......those were the times when I used to think "there must be an easier way"
Now there is. Did exactly this twice today infact with wago boxes.

Dave, there is an easier way - try
LINE

Including VAT you should have a maximum spend of £1.50 per jb. Using push ins for solid core will bring it closer to £1.20.
Ifnyou are charging per job, the time saving will more than pay back.

Was raveing about the Line products to my local wholesaler (EPH supplies,spalding,Lincolnshire (now part of Edmundson group)) earlier this week. Showed the buyer the contractors pack and he was most impressed....hopeing he can make a deal and start stocking them as i'm terrible at thinking ahead and keeping stocks up meself.

Exactly what maintenance can you do to a Wago connector then??? They're sprung loaded!!! Of course they're maintenance free...!!!

In this thread by Maintenance Free we are referring the definition of Maintenance free in BS7671 A1 clause 526.3 (vi)
A screwless connector is only part of the equation to meet this requirement.

Just as maintenance free car batteries can fail over time so can a screwless connector. Therefore the BS5733 requirement addresses long term (life of installation) performance and therefore is much tighter on other performance and safety matters. So, for BS7671 MF it needs to be BS5733 connector and enclosure.

Checked with Torquay Devondale today, they had never heard of Line products. I've asked them to check you out and get back to me. What commission do I get?
Thats a classic problem! Their head office does the buying but no one talks to the branches. Their last order was last month!
Ask them to look on their system.
If you dont have any joy please let me know.
Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to Wago box in a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net