wall outlet with USB charge | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss wall outlet with USB charge in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Purchased a wall outlet that has charging ports for usb. Issue now is the place where I want to put this new outlet also had an off/on control with a wall switch so three wires going now in the outlet box. New outlet only has two wires and a ground. I really do not need this location for a off/on plug to turn on a lamp or anything so can I still use the new outlet I bought (pictured) and just block off or not connect the line to the wall turn on switch? Or do you know of an outlet I can buy that has usb charging capability as well as a wiring scheme that allows me to connect all three lines to also use the off/on wall switch for a lamp I might plug in for future use.

Thanks for any help.

[ElectriciansForums.net] wall outlet with USB charge

yes, the wall switch just controls one outlet in the room and that outlet when turned off, the top plug in of the two plug ins available turns off. The bottom plug in of the two still retains power.

Thank you for your response.

I presume the black has been used as neutral and the red and white hots.
If the bottom stays on use the black and red to the new outlet and make the white safe but not connected.

I presume the black has been used as neutral and the red and white hots.
If the bottom stays on use the black and red to the new outlet and make the white safe but not connected.
I might have spoke to soon. I thought it would work great after I did as you suggested but when I put a tester in the line I get Red lit up, no light in the middle yellow, and then the lit up yellow which states Hot Grd/Reverse. Should I switch around the red and black lines? I did cap off the white line which I am thinking leads to that wall switch which is turned off. What do you think? thanks.

View attachment 118036View attachment 118036

I thought white was normally neutral in the US?
Which would make red and black both hots, one of which is turned on/off by the remote switch.
So wouldn't you normally use black as hot and white as neutral, which might be the pair for the USB socket?
Megawatt?

Yes I assumed the black was on the bridged terminals for the neutral but I suspect it is the other side, the white. Can you show more pics of the other side and direct on to the terminals.

I have the white caped and in the box. Maybe attach the white and black and cap the red? I can leave the wall switch on if necessary.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] wall outlet with USB charge
    IMG_20240906_165248592_HDR.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 3
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] wall outlet with USB charge
    IMG_20240906_165321775_HDR.jpg
    857.6 KB · Views: 3

Reply to wall outlet with USB charge in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net