Want to change career | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Want to change career in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aidan

Hi, I'm 31 and have been working as a general builder for approx 15yrs. (Extensions/Renovations etc)

Done some basic electrical work which has then been checked by electricians. (Plug sockets, Lights & switches, partial rewire)

Been looking on the net for courses, found a few fast track courses which get you qualified in 8 weeks or so.

But I have spoken to a few sparks and I would rather do it the right way and get an apprenticeship to get the right experience.

Are there electrical firms out there that would take on an apprentice of my age?

I would pay for any courses which I need to go on.

Hopefully I could be fully qualified by the age of 35, leaving 30yrs of work as an electrician.

P.S. I got a young family & mortgage so would need a wage somewhere between an apprentice and a spark!

have you worked self employed doing your own building works etc? if so continue what your doing while you retrain and any of the electrical work involved hire an electrician who is willing to show you whats to be done (this should be relatively easy if your offering them work) once you get friendly they may allow you to help them on other jobs for the experience.

By the sounds of it you know a bit about the basics and if its only domestic work what interests you, go for a fast track course. Once you understand why your doing something and you can test your work, your **** it given you have good practical skills.

Wouldn't get drawn into the right way for domestic work, it ain't rocket science.

Go for it aidan
I was basicly in the same boat, Was on the railway for 10 yrs the bubble burst. I was a thermit welder a trade which you cant carry across to any where.
So when i got made redundant it was either retrain or get payed peanuts for the rest of my life.
The prob you mite find is there changing all the qaulifications now(ish). Still a gray area.
oh im 36 mate so its never to late, retirement will be 75 before long,so you ve got plenty of work time left my friend :)

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate the help!

Mattmoo1974, did you go down the Fast track route or apprenticeship?

Anyone else 30+ changed career and done one of these 2 options?

Are you employed or self employed now?

What qualifications/courses had you got/done before you got the job/went self employed?

Hello Aidan, Im Aiden!

Im 29 and currently working my way through re-training. I currently have my own firm doing smallish domestic and commercial remedials, its boring but its experience.

Take it from me, Do not do a short course, instead retrain the hard way and do all of your papers, that way when you get bored of house bashing you can look towards the varied and interesting world of commercial

Good luck fella!!

Are you employed or self employed now?

What qualifications/courses had you got/done before you got the job/went self employed?
Iv got my assessment on the 4th of march.
You need 2330 level 2 part p(well building regs) 17th Edition.
Im going Self employed a week before my test.
Iv just passed my 2391 (GRIN) But you need to show good Knowledge of testing in your Assessment.
Im not sure but i think you d need to do 2392 which is the dulled down version of 2391.
Loads of people slag off part P mate, But i found it well worth doing, Its kinda like level 2 but just telling you the stuff you need to know on site.
Hope this helps

Nobody slags off Part P, its the fact that everyone thinks its a qualification when its not. The exam i think your reffering to is the 17th edition wiring regs exam.

Ok slag off was a tad harsh.
As iv said before the building regs are built into part P and you need those. I say for aidan this would be a good starting point. Its not a qual aidan but it gives you good underpinning knowledge. Its a very dulled down 2330 level 2 without all the science behind it. There are big changes in process (2357). And this is what your going to have to sign upto (3 yrs as an apprentice).
Id ask at your local college and get some sound upto date advice.

Just had a look to see what all this part p qualification crap is all about.

Found a training centre which offers a part p bundle: consists of 2382-10, 2392-10, 2393-10. All City and Guilds Certificates.

Just had a look to see what all this part p qualification crap is all about.

Found a training centre which offers a part p bundle: consists of 2382-10, 2392-10, 2393-10. All City and Guilds Certificates.

But to become part p you have to join a scheme and be assessed. there is no part p qualification.

Reply to Want to change career in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net