Want to replace/move power shower - options? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Want to replace/move power shower - options? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cable_guy

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not an electrician but one of your customers doing some research so please go easy on me
[ElectriciansForums.net] Want to replace/move power shower - options?

I have a traditional (not a combi) boiler, with a hot water tank in my airing cupboard, and a cold water tank in the attic.

I have a power shower which makes a hell of a noise so I'm guessing has a pump inside the unit, but I want to move it to another part of the room cheaply.

Could I have your ideas on what options I have please? I am not bothered about having super pressure like I have now. Would a simple electric shower like this be possible with my boiler system?

I have had some quotes for a bathroom refit in the last few days but to be honest I didn't understand the technologies they were talking about and felt uncomfortable to ask. E.g. one recommended a separate 10mm cable run from my consumer unit for something (can't remember what exactly) and one recommended a pump in the airing cupboard for something.

Hope I am making some sense. I posted this in the plumbers forums but didn't get much of a response, then figured out this is actually a sparky question rather than a plumber thing.

how come? I have a powershower with a pump in it at the moment, so a mixer shower even if I get a pump for it should only be the same water output shouldn't it?

Unfortunately flow rates do vary, it'd be wise to check this. Also ensure that the feed to your water cylinder is taken from a higher position than your cold draw offs. If a manual mixer with no thermostat is used without this, there's a possibility of scalding. Even if thermostatic unit is used, this is still (in my opinion) a worthwhile back up.

Regards

Billy

If your existing unit is REALLY noisy, it is most likely a damaged/worn pump, and/or cavitation. How long has the unit been installed?

Regards

Billy

It's not really noisy, it's just more noisy than any other shower I've heard. Doesn't sound broken just loud.

This idea of a pump being remote from the shower does interest me. Am I right in thinking then that I simply buy a mixer shower, and the water comes out faster?

the idea of the Kevin S is probably the most simple, to replace the powershower with another one, my question on that topic is, what makes the difference between a cheap and expensive one? They range from £120 to upwards of £500.

Reply to Want to replace/move power shower - options? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net