warehouse lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss warehouse lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jambogee74

Hi all newbbie here, I need some advice i have been asked to wire a new bottleing warehouse which is being built onto an existing one.It will have 5 rows of lights with possibly 4 fittings on each and the lights will be a 4 x 6ft module and this is times 2. There is also 4 exits 4 roller shuters and a small office, ok the small office is fine! my problem is how to wire the lights, they dont want busbar light trunking they dont want standard light trunking, what they do want is the lights hanging by either chain or esi-hang?? wires so this would mean wire armour (am i right) .The lengh of the run is approx 20m from distrubution to switch then same again from switch to each purling, so A. what size of cable? B.is 3 phase required? C.would i need emergancy lighting at high level. sorry guys so many questions, I am mainly a domestic electrician and i just need to make sure i've got all my regs right before i totaly comit. Thanks guys in advance
The total amount of lights will be 40 and as above there 4 x 6ft flourecsents

Split lighting into 5 circuits of 4 lights each.
These can then either be individually switched or combined through a contactor.
As for your cable i would use hituf as opposed to swa providing you don't need the protection of the armour and connect each fitting in to a klik.
As for cable sizing you need to work out actual load per circuit and volt drop to establish cable size.

B.is 3 phase required?

If there is rotating machinery in this area it would be better across three phase to eliminate the strobe effect

C.would i need emergancy lighting at high level.

Is there emergency lighting in the other areas if it is required I think I would swap some of the fluorescents for ones which have the emergency facility built in and place emergency lights / signs above the emergency exits

You mentioned that you are using 4 x 6ft units, are the T8 or T5 tubes? I am not aware of 6ft T5 tubes and would certainly not use 70 watt T8 tubes. A 4 x 80 watt T5 flo bay would be a lot better for lumens output and tube life.A maintained emergency pack could also be used in some of these to provide emergency lighting.

There is'nt rotating machines but would it still be a good idea to spread the load over 3 phases and as there will be pallets stacked metres high i think it would be good to have emerg's at high level.The guy wants it done as cheap as poss but dont want to have any comebacks, anyway thanks for that

hi
before cable selection you need to calculate the loading of circuit, allow a 1.8 factor for strike up. i find click fitting easiest to use, and each light remains individually maintainable. you should have no problem with voltage drop over 20m but you have calculate loading.

Reply to warehouse lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net