Warning Watch Your Speed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Warning Watch Your Speed in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SYKRAPS

Good Evening All,

Just a quick one that I was asked to share by a course tutor on a driver awareness course.

In my ignorance and not knowing the actual class of my vehicle and presuming that it would be the same as a car I was collared for speeding a couple of weeks ago by a stationary safety camera when I did not think I was doing anything wrong.

I thought that in a small van 'Peugeot Partner' that the speed limit on a dual carriageway 'at the national speed limit' was 70mph until I was invited to receive 3 points and a fine or attend a driver awareness course for traveling at exactly 70mph.

Most of the guys on the course were like me small van drivers who had been pulled for the same.

The trouble is that the safety cameras are basically black and white and don't exercise any form of sense as a police office may in some cases.

We were told that there are many more of these safety camera vehicles due to go into circulation this year and that if they see fit there is no % tolerance applied for instrument faults if they do not want to, this apparently varies in different regions.

In summary and wanting to save you lot the misfortune of receiving the same as I did, although I am aware that many of you do not exceed speed limits and are aware of your vehicle class the speed limits for small vans upwards if not car derived are well worth reviewing by all.

PS Most people who I spoke to thought that the speed limit for my van on a dual carriageway at the national speed limit was 70mph and not 60mph as it actually is.......................................

If this saves even 1 person a ticket I feel that it is well worth the time in posting it.

Good Evening All,

Just a quick one that I was asked to share by a course tutor on a driver awareness course.

In my ignorance and not knowing the actual class of my vehicle and presuming that it would be the same as a car I was collared for speeding a couple of weeks ago by a stationary safety camera when I did not think I was doing anything wrong.

I thought that in a small van 'Peugeot Partner' that the speed limit on a dual carriageway 'at the national speed limit' was 70mph until I was invited to receive 3 points and a fine or attend a driver awareness course for traveling at exactly 70mph.

Most of the guys on the course were like me small van drivers who had been pulled for the same.

The trouble is that the safety cameras are basically black and white and don't exercise any form of sense as a police office may in some cases.

We were told that there are many more of these safety camera vehicles due to go into circulation this year and that if they see fit there is no % tolerance applied for instrument faults if they do not want to, this apparently varies in different regions.

In summary and wanting to save you lot the misfortune of receiving the same as I did, although I am aware that many of you do not exceed speed limits and are aware of your vehicle class the speed limits for small vans upwards if not car derived are well worth reviewing by all.

PS Most people who I spoke to thought that the speed limit for my van on a dual carriageway at the national speed limit was 70mph and not 60mph as it actually is.......................................

If this saves even 1 person a ticket I feel that it is well worth the time in posting it.

Cars and vehicles (including car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes max laden weight)30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)

what weight is your van? this is from the highway code

sorry to hear of your bad luck fella.
I had the misfortune years ago now to gets points with no prizes, or attend a driver awareness course (different reason to yours) I actually really enjoyed the course. the guy instructing it was a driving instructor tutor and being driven around by him was one of the most comfortable journeys I've ever had!
I consider myself a good driver (member of IAM) but this guy was fantastic

Cars and vehicles (including car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes max laden weight)30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)

what weight is your van? this is from the highway code

The problem arises from the term "car derived van" a lot of the small vans these days are not derived from a car. I know of someone who got a speeding ticket in the same van and circumstances as the OP and the reason given by the police was although Peugeot do produce a car in the same shape because the van was produced and first registered before the car variant was it is not classed as a car derived van

Ey up SYKRAPS,

I'm being really thick today, are you saying a small van can only do max of 60 where a car can go 70?
Hence you being knicked?

Going to have to let my courier mate know about this!

I got told this info a few weeks ago, it's true that vans have a different speed limit to cars, unless the vans are derived from cars e.g. astravan.

Bent, agreed.

I'll have to check mine. I drive a caddy, I would class it as car derived but the name caddy has been around longer than the touran (the car equivalent)

Very good to know that.I had no idea that there was a lower speed limit for small vans,I thought it was just for artics.

Same, i've known people who've been fined though aswell. The law is ridiculous, i can't understand why a small van should go any slower than a big car...guess its something to do with the goods you carry, a bigger mess could be inflicted or whatever, but you can pack just as much in an estate as a small van just about.

Ey up SYKRAPS,

I'm being really thick today, are you saying a small van can only do max of 60 where a car can go 70?
Hence you being knicked?

Going to have to let my courier mate know about this!

Quite correct Archy on a dual carriageway 60 is the limit if the van is not car derived, 50 on a single carriageway with national speed limit signs but 70 on a motorway though.

If a van is not car derived then it is classed as light goods up to 7.5 tonnes

Reply to Warning Watch Your Speed in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back