Wasting electricity with electric cars? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wasting electricity with electric cars? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So over the past few years we have seen the demise of 8 foot fluorescent tubes,50 watt halogen bulbs,500 watt floodlights and making tv standby power even more tiny.
This seems to pale into insignificance when electric cars are needing at least 7kw for 8 hours.
Now I don't know about you but when I'm in the shower for 10 minutes I'm thinking this is costing me a bit at 8.5 kw.So to leave 7kw on for 8 hours is madness.It makes a joke of all the energy savings over the past few years.What do you guys think?

Interesting idea... how would you control that ? It's not as easy as policing the use of cheaper red diesel by dipping of tanks.
1) Require local meters to be integrated into domestic charging points.

2) Install household supply meters with enough "intelligence", or capacity for it, to communicate with loads to find out what they are. You could call them "smart meters".

Oh.

Well... all we know is that the planet is changing... nobody knows exactly why. It's possible that it's due to humans and it's possible that it's another natural cycle, of which we know there have been many in the past. Or it could be due to something that we don't even know about yet...
I'll not bother to ask you what expertise you have in climatology or atmospheric science which gives validity to your decision to disbelieve the huge majority of those who are experts and every single national and international scientific body.

I'll not bother to ask you what expertise you have in climatology or atmospheric science which gives validity to your decision to disbelieve the huge majority of those who are experts and every single national and international scientific body.
i suppose it was human industry polluting the atmosphere caused the last ice age?

I tend to listen to all experts, regardless of their opinions, then base my own views on a balanced, blended 'most likely' position. I'm not a fan of listening only to the ones you want to listen to... it tends to give an unbalanced view. You have to note that anyone who publicly gives a view that the media don't want to hear are quickly cast down as 'nut jobs'. Just look at what happened to David Bellamy !

I tend to listen to all experts, regardless of their opinions, then base my own views on a balanced, blended 'most likely' position. I'm not a fan of listening only to the ones you want to listen to... it tends to give an unbalanced view. You have to note that anyone who publicly gives a view that the media don't want to hear are quickly cast down as 'nut jobs'. Just look at what happened to David Bellamy !
I tend to think that given the near unanimity of those who know more than me, and the total unanimity of every single national and international scientific body, it would be barking mad of me to think that the opinions of the insignificant minority should be given as much weight as the overwhelming majority.

the current fad is CO2 emmissions. OK, so trees absorb CO2 and produce oxygen. photosynthesis. so why are we banging heads producing electric cars, when they're chopping down thousands of acres of rainforest?

Don't know if this has been said before, but electric cars will bring about the death of the Caravan industry.
I am not sure what you mean by “Caravan industry”-?

In the future you will have a charger in your garage. When you come home for the night all you do is plug in your car to a charger. Have a good night’s sleep and in the morning your batteries will be charged and off you go to another day of work.

Caravan transport will just have larger batteries, but the charging process is the same.

In the future you will have a charger in your garage. When you come home for the night all you do is plug in your car to a charger. Have a good night’s sleep and in the morning your batteries will be charged and off you go to another day of work.

What if you don't have a garage or driveway?

I suppose in the future service stations will cater for caravan users by supplying chargers in areas that we can easily manoeuvre into.

The technology will advance so that tow cars can cover much larger distances on a full charge than now.

Or

Certain vehicles become exempt and we can carry on using nice big diesels to tow our caravans.

Back in the day when I had a motorhome I used to enjoy the entertainment at camp sites watching people try to manouver their caravans onto the pitch. Then came the awning fitting. Oh, happy days.

Back in the day when I had a motorhome I used to enjoy the entertainment at camp sites watching people try to manouver their caravans onto the pitch. Then came the awning fitting. Oh, happy days.
All it takes is a little practice and some home grown natural talent.

And those remote control motorised caravan mover things.
Not got one, don’t need one.
I only use Caravan Club sites which are designed to have flat, level pitches and are easy to push caravans around on, if manoeuvring them with the car is tricky.
Caravans have handles.

I see most people’s viewpoint of caravanners are either tv celebrity “travellers” or have witnessed someone without the experience on their first trip having problems with the nuances of touring caravans.
You need some knowledge in the mechanics off towing, and siting a caravan.... the electrical systems concerning the 230v mains and the 12v from the leisure battery. A little knowledge of plumbing... priming the pipe work and draining down properly afterward.... and of course the gas.
I reckon there should be official training given to caravan users to give them the knowledge required.

it's going to be hilarious watching them reverse a caravan around a petrol forecourt to get to the charger point !
This is a problem I already have, running my cars on LPG. Forecourt designers, both in the UK and across Europe, seem to delight in tucking the LPG pumps into some inaccessible corner.

Reply to Wasting electricity with electric cars? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net