Water hammer/noise from pipework at night? plumbing advice | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter Illuminate
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 125

Discuss Water hammer/noise from pipework at night? plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net

Water hammer/noise from pipework at night? I attended a Job where the customers complained about noisy pipes more often late at night bur sometimes in the day. While I was there, there was no issue but the combi boiler was set to preheat and they said they usually put the washing machine on late at night.

With their permission I turned off preheat to the boiler and added a mini shock arrestor on the cold feed to the boiler near to where they were hearing the sounds. I also added a mini shock arrestor to the washing machine and I also replaced a stop that on cold feed to boiler with full bore lever but two weeks later they have said they have heard the noise often.

On this visit, I checked the water pressure and it is quite high, over 4 bar and this was at 3pm and so will most likely be higher at night.

They have now said the noise if from the upstairs bathroom and they think it is from the pipework to the basin which is on flexi tap connectors and the pipework goes into a void in copper and does not appear to be clipped.
I want reassurance on what to do next time. I'm thinking to quote to put a reducing valve after mains stop tap and hard pipe the basin taps instead of flexi connections and get shock arrestors on the supply to the basin taps. They had said the noise goes when opening the basin taps but they were not sure which, hot or cold..

I also had a sort to install 2 litre potable expansion vessel but not sure this will be needed and want to keep cost down, considering I failed to fix the first time round..
There is also a basic inline scale reducer 22mm after stop tap that may need replacing. The mains stop is mainly opened and I adjusted it.

Any advice really appreciated,

Many thanks

Water hammer/noise from pipework at night? to read more on the original thread at Plumbing Advice

See also UK Plumbing Advice for all UK plumbing advice needs.

Reply to Water hammer/noise from pipework at night? plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net