Water Pipe Bonding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Water Pipe Bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

baza

-
Reaction score
I have just visited a property which has no bondings to gas and water pipes, I thought no problem to rectify, other than getting customer to pay for more than they wanted doing. My problem is the incoming water pipe is completely buried in a wall except for the spindle sticking out.The only pipe work showing is leading to the kitchen sink and bathroom basin, both are quite far away from the stop tap. Would this be exceptable to bond the cold water pipe in the bathroom or kitchen and note it on the certificate as a deviation from the regs

Within 300mm or wherever practicable mate! Isn't a perfect world after all. Maybe if you want just note down on the DEI or PIR or whichever you are filling out and put on the deviations as a code 4.
Thats how i would do it anyway, just wait and see other peoples replies!

At the end of the day you can only bond as close to the stop tap as you can get. As mark80 said just note it down where its been bonded, one thing i would recomend is if you cant confrim visually that its copper pipe from the point you bonded back to the stop tap then do a continuity test from the MET to the main bond and then form the MET to the stop tap just to make sure someone hasnt put a lenght of plastic pipe in any where.

Where existing main or supplementary bonding is to be used to meet the altered circumstances arising from an addition or alteration to an installation, it is essential to correct any deficiencies in the protective bonding which would result in a degree of safety less than that afforded by compliance with BS 7671. Alternatively, new protective bonding must be provided.

The departure is to be noted in the Electrical Installation Certificate, Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate or, where applicable, Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate covering the addition or alteration. A note must be made both in the section of the certificate that deals with departures from BS 7671 in the work covered by the certificate (Regulation 120.1), and in the section that deals with comments on the existing installation (Regulation 633.2).

Regards

Dichroic

Reply to Water Pipe Bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net