What do I do with this? (192? home) | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What do I do with this? (192? home) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need counsel!

The existing fixture was not 100 years but was apparently floating over the plaster?

No ground. No way to see which wire is which (does it matter in this case?)

There is no box on which to affix the bar to hang the new fixture and the existing...ummm insulation or something hangs out of the plaster around 5/8 of an inch. Nothing to affix anything to other than the wood you can see next to the wires.
What can I put in there to create space and stability since I am not qualified to redo all the wiring and plaster, and not able to afford a professional?

Thank you SO much for your counsel!![ElectriciansForums.net] What do I do with this? (192? home)
[ElectriciansForums.net] What do I do with this? (192? home)

[ElectriciansForums.net] What do I do with this? (192? home)

Not sure with American wiring, one for @Megawatt i think.

There was a time in the UK that there wasn’t earth or ground wires in lighting circuits, and the way we see it, if it’s a plastic or “double insulated” fitting, then it’s ok to put up…. Wholly metallic fittings, where a loose cable could fall out and touch the body of the fitting- not on.

For fixing to the ceiling, is there access above where a price of wood could be fixed in just above the ceiling to give something to screw to?

The ceiling appears to be thin strips of wood with plaster… but the age suggests it will be dry, and not strong.

We also have plasterboard fixings that push up through a small hole, and then open up like an umbrella… but I don’t think your ceiling is solid enough to take them.

Bet its a nice house though. I think mine is 1930ish and its fairly new for the UK.

As for electrics I'm not an electrician so I'd be posting on the forum too on that one.

Welcome to the forum :)

Reply to What do I do with this? (192? home) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net