What if anything Is availablee | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What if anything Is availablee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Robb1e

-
Reaction score
Hello members.

Some advice/opinions would be great if you can help.

I have a large media setup at home which entails a lot of plugs and sockets which leaves an unsightly "clump" of plugs on the floor. Is there anything new that you have seen or could recommend that I could use instead of the generally obtrusive extension leads? Obviously something that didn't require the plugs would be brilliant and clearly cut down the size of the "clump" but simply cutting the plugs off and wiring them all into a junction box would certainly be frowned upon, lol.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lastly guys, what is your opinion on having a non fused / non plugged appliance?

If a 3A fuse in the plug of the supply cable to the mains distribution unit (whatever it is) survives, then its just fine.

No so keen on fusing the lot at 13A, assuming the typical size of flexible cable used for domestic AV equipment.

Absolutely not keen at all on a direct, unfused connection to the fixed house wiring.

Last edited:
Ok. Points taken. Thanks for all your information. It is all very much appreciated.

HandySparks, do you mean that if I used THIS to connect all the items to and then used a cable with a plug on the end to power it all, so it is pretty much like an extension lead, then that would be more acceptable.? If it had a 3amp fuse in it instead of a 13amp?

Last edited:
Most CE-marked AV kit is fine on a 13A fuse as it is intended for pan-EU applications. Anywhere outside the UK the protection will be either 10A or 16A MCB in the CU. You won't find anything with 0.5mm² flex these days, for that reason.

Most CE-marked AV kit is fine on a 13A fuse as it is intended for pan-EU applications. Anywhere outside the UK the protection will be either 10A or 16A MCB in the CU. You won't find anything with 0.5mm² flex these days, for that reason.

Fair point. Maybe I'm being a bit over cautious recommending a 3A fuse.

I thought I had something knocking around that I got years ago for a hi fi set up but never used it , its called multi plug photos as shown [ElectriciansForums.net] What if anything Is availablee[ElectriciansForums.net] What if anything Is availablee

@DPG I know it would be easier but I want it as minimal as possible, and you can't get as minimal as having no cupboard at all, lol.

@Lucien Nines, I would use the same fuses as would be in the original plugs for each appliance. It would be safer and possibly less expensive than the actual appliance blowing up .

@DPG I know it would be easier but I want it as minimal as possible, and you can't get as minimal as having no cupboard at all, lol.

@Lucien Nines, I would use the same fuses as would be in the original plugs for each appliance. It would be safer and possibly less expensive than the actual appliance blowing up .

I should assume a 3A fuse would have been in each of the plug tops , depending on the amount and type of appliances in use I can't see why a 5A fuse can't be used win the plug top for the lot , IMHO...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What if anything Is availablee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net