what should a defined scope electrician know? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss what should a defined scope electrician know? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

a1colly

Hi all

I'm having an issue with the management at my company, we have removed an electrician from duties due to several failings within their work.
They know want me to have him complete defined scope works only, spurs mainly for ventilation equipment. My argument is that do to his failings ( earthing issues and insulation testing being the main two) he can't complete this but they are know wanting prof that as a defined scope electrician what he would need to know. I've googled and failed to find any reference to this area, any help? Thanks

The problem is that the schemes are designed to make a select few very rich, like most things in a capatilist society, nothing to do with electrical safety and compitence, as far as I'm concerned it should have stayed as 236 parts 1 and 2 and a 5 year appreticeship, it gives you the chance to learn from the old boys and experience good and bad practice.

As QS he could certainly refuse to co-sign any more work.

he should also be able to insist the guy not be allowed to work unsupervised, and that he requires --- additional training before he be allowed to work unsupervised or something.

here's a quote on this from an employment law web page

1. Incapability / lack of qualificationsUnder ERA sub-section 98(2)(a), your incapability or lack of qualifications must relate to the work you’re employed to do for it to qualify as a potentially fair reason for dismissal.
Moreover, before dismissing you your employer should normally meet with you, warn you about your standard of work and give you a chance to improve. This may mean your employer needs to give you more training (e.g., on how to use a recently introduced computerised system) or other support.
Sorry for the formatting, not sure what happened there.

I'd think the guy would need to be seriously incompetent and dangerous, or to have refused additional training or something to warrant immediate dismissal without the potential for a claim for unfair dismissal, so you'll need to really pull together supporting evidence if this is the line you're taking. (eta this bit to the A1Colly)

Let's just make things clear here, ....1/. There is no such thing a a Defined Scope Electrician!!

Just like the 17 day whizz kids and electrical trainee so-called DI's, these terms only apply to the Scam providers that devised these meaningless handles in order to enlarge the area of cash cows that they can manipulate.

2/. There is even less place in our industry for these numpty Defined Scope Herberts than the DI's!!

Any license to work through these shameless Scam providers, should be withdrawn forthwith.
It just makes a total mockery of the claims put forward by these scam providers of promoting ''Safety'' and safe working practices.

Time to get shot of all of them, the wannabe's, the course providers and the Scams that promote and accredit them!!

Let's just make things clear here, ....1/. There is no such thing a a Defined Scope Electrician!!

Just like the 17 day whizz kids and electrical trainee so-called DI's, these terms only apply to the Scam providers that devised these meaningless handles in order to enlarge the area of cash cows that they can manipulate.

2/. There is even less place in our industry for these numpty Defined Scope Herberts than the DI's!!

Any license to work through these shameless Scam providers, should be withdrawn forthwith.
It just makes a total mockery of the claims put forward by these scam providers of promoting ''Safety'' and safe working practices.

Time to get shot of all of them, the wannabe's, the course providers and the Scams that promote and accredit them!!
same thing arn`t they eng?.....lol...

Just an update, I will post thanks when I'm on the laptop as can't do through the app. Agree with you all no such thing as a defined scope person but the bosses like what they read. The person is now off the tools and back into shadowing although I have reserves about what will happen long term. They decided to see logic in the end, as for my QS responsibilities I audit anything from 30 to 50% of all work usually at my own expense and time but that's down to me. I thought this would have been enough but you can always be proven wrong.

Reply to what should a defined scope electrician know? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net