What sort of motor do I need? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What sort of motor do I need? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard

Hi

Me and the old man are making a bench saw from chopping logs on the farm. The blade is approx 700mm wide (pretty big as they go i think).

In your opinion, what would be the best sort of single phase motor to attach to drive this blade? and what sort of power? I'm guessing it would need to be pretty torque'y? but not sure exactly what type!

Thanks in advance!

(and before anyone asks H&S is more than adequtally catered for!)

From limited experience of saws I think they rely on the speed and momentum of the blade as much as raw torque. The large saws I'v seen use a standard induction motor. You're going to be limited by the single phase supply, usually single phase motors are around 3Kw max. Even at that size you're talking about a large supply to accommodate the start current. Maybe consider using a soft starter to reduce the start current. The type of motor would usually be dictated by the blade itself which should have a recommended running speed stamped on it somewhere. This would dictate if a 2-pole or 4-pole motor is used.

Forget what motor to drive the blade just buy a fit for purpose table saw that has everything on it ie ovload protection, safety guards etc then all you need to do
is get a supply put in for it.
Remember Heath Robertson died years ago this is a whole new ball game years ago we used to read stories about farmers losing arms and legs on machinary like this so if you think I am having a pop at you then think about this if one of you is injured with this and you think a well I am insured then think again because you have just handed the insurance company the biggest "I dont need to pay card" because you did not follow the rules with regards to using machinary "fit for purpose"

From limited experience of saws I think they rely on the speed and momentum of the blade as much as raw torque. The large saws I'v seen use a standard induction motor. You're going to be limited by the single phase supply, usually single phase motors are around 3Kw max. Even at that size you're talking about a large supply to accommodate the start current. Maybe consider using a soft starter to reduce the start current. The type of motor would usually be dictated by the blade itself which should have a recommended running speed stamped on it somewhere. This would dictate if a 2-pole or 4-pole motor is used.

Thanks, thats very useful. :)

Ditto, not worth taking a chance, us humans have evolved enough by now to know danger ahead when certain situations arise, and this is one of them.

who needs a motor

[video=youtube;2_ZisaAd7bo]http:/[/video][video=youtube;2_ZisaAd7bo] 0:50
[ElectriciansForums.net] What sort of motor do I need?
Add to
[ElectriciansForums.net] What sort of motor do I need?
Added to queue
video lang: en
Translate
View original
(Translation disabled)

Circular saw blade throw cuts 2x4 lumber stud /www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ZisaAd7bo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be happy you dont live in the states if you ever watched Micheal Moores Sicko then their for the grace of God go I . A guy got his fingers taken of with a table saw and he did not have enough money to sew all of them back on again

Reply to What sort of motor do I need? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net