what tester to buy.... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss what tester to buy.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickys86

hi all,
this is my first post on a forum so please go easy on me. i have just qualified as a level 2 electrician and starting my level 3 in september. i would like to buy a tester so i can practice at home and hopefully keep up with what we are doing in college.

heres the problem, there are so many testers made by the same comapnies and so many companies making the testers.

could someone help me get my head around which one would be ideal for me to buy? i would like to buy one that could last me a few yrs. i have a budget of £700 but that isnt set in stone, its just the cash i have put by to pay towards any equipment.
thanks for ya help
michael

Mate, if all you intend to do is to practice testing at home on your own domestic CU, then just buy a cheap old analogue one off of ebay. As long as it tests at 500v, for your IR test; you're be fine. HOWEVER for work purposes, DO NOT go cheap. GO on recommendations FROM people that you TRUST. After all, you're be putting your life, reputation and signature on a piece of paper along with the readings of the machine that you've invested in.

what is a seperate? TBH I have been looking at the Flukes, meggers and the kewtechs. but because there is so many variations within each company it just confuses me haha.

what is a seperate? TBH I have been looking at the Flukes, meggers and the kewtechs. but because there is so many variations within each company it just confuses me haha.

You want something simple and easy to use, something similar to megger 1552 or the Metrel MI3100 would be perfect, you don't really want to be spending £700 on your first tester, get used to a tester and testing before you spend too much

Ok I'll look into those. I was looking at the 1552 but was getting confused as to why they released the 17xx series. Didn't really want to spend £700. Just the amount of cash I have aside for equipment.
Thank you :)

seperates are 1,rcd tester....2,insulation resistance tester and....3,loop and psc tester. all seperate items but able to do all 17th edition tests combined.......fluke IR tester,megger RCD tester and iso-tech digital loop and psc tester...all brand new and unused.

if I were you I'd be spending less on your first tester. look at the Metrels they do everything you need and are cheap. or a second hand megger 1552 or 1502(same as 1552 but with no auto RCD function)
then spend the rest of your budget on screwdrivers, snips, cordless drill, drill sets etc...

Exarmy I'm mad on tools and have most hand tools and most of the power tools that I should need haha. I have a theory that if I have to borrow something then I should go and buy one. A tool a week was a lot better than buying it all upfront haha. Although I would like a new screwdriver set!

"all the gear but no idea" Lol

Reply to what tester to buy.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net