What to buy? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What to buy? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hanko1983

Hey guys

I'm just starting out and can't decide what tools to buy :confused:

I was thinking of getting the C.K electrician's premium kit (595003) £140 ish. Is that the best thing to do?

Any suggestions would be great

Cheers guys

i got the CK kit when i was starting out, its a good buy but remember you will be adding to it very quickly and the actual bag gets very cluttered and disorganised...!!

what you need when starting out

VDE Screwdrivers!!
Hammer
Tape Measure
Decent cable cutters that cut 10mm+ cable with ease (i got a CK set from wholesalers)
Wood Chisel's
Masonary Chisel's
laser level or spirit level.. or both..!!
Torx Screwdrivers
Allen keys
decent stanley knife
decent junior hacksaw
wire strippers
long knose pliers
cable rods

Power drill....!! SDS with Chisel function is brill...
cordless Drill (if you can afford one get a Impact Driver awesome)
dust pan and brush and dust sheets (and hoover if you go whole hog)

dust mask and gloves and goggles

and above all else a VOLT TESTER!!!! saves lives..!

the list is endless!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate, I looked at one of those kits for when I was starting out but decided to buy seperate (and slightly better) and ended up spending £200. However 3 years later I still have all of my original tools. These packs are sometimes quite appealing, however I imagine in no time you will want to upgrade the bag to a bigger one and you might find the tape measure a little bit weak. Also do you think you will have any use for the automatic wire strippers or knife?

B&Q are doing a Dewalt bag for £20 Dewalt 18" Open Tote Tool Bag, 0000005263967

Toolman Yardley are selling a great set of insulated Irazola Tekno + for £25 here: Irazola tekno plus insulated screwdriver set 202031 :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola screwd

Knipex Side Cutters for £18 here: Knipex 160mm VDE insulated side cutters 7008160 knipex tools :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazo

Knipex Pliers for £16 here: Knipex 180mm combination VDE insulated pliers 0308180 :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola scre

Knipex Long Nose £21 here: knipex 200mm long nose plier insulated plier 7618200 :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola screw

An Estwing 16oz hammer (will last forever) for £23 here: Estwing 16oz vinyl hammer claw hammer e3-16c :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola screwdrivers,

Stanley 8M tape (tougher and longer then the CK one) for £5 here: Stanley 8m 26' Tylon tape measure Stanley tools :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola screwdrive

Bahco Boat level for £9 here: Bahco magnetic boat level 426TOR9 :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola screwdrivers,

Bahco Hacksaw for £1.99 Bahco junior hacksaw 239 :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola screwdrivers,

Socket Rethreader for £3.50 here: Draper wall socket re-threading tool 37923 :: Toolman Yardley, tools ,bahco tools, C.K,stanley tools, estwing,stabila, marshalltown, bosch, knipex, trend, irwin,draper, fluke, monument, kamasa, fisco, silverline, rothenberger, irazola screwdrivers,

All this will cost you £142.49 which is around the same as the CK kit. However you have much better quality tools and a bag which is big enough to cope with future upgrades and additions.

Finally I would only use the mains tester supplied with the CK kit for opening paint cans. Spend £50 and get one of these: Martindale VI13700/G Safety Voltage Indicator it will probably be the best £50 you ever spend when it shows that supposidly "dead" circuit to be live.

Hope this helps!!! Also I have absolutly no connection to the stores I have linked to. I have just spend 10 minutes looking around for the best prices and these seemed to be the ones. However if it is still just over your budget, have another search as these may be cheaper elsewhere. Good luck mate and all the best

The dewalt bags are now £18 at BandQ just make sure it has the shoulder strap with it

Agreed. I bought 1 a couple of weeks ago and it never had the strap with it. I wasn't too bothered as I always take the straps off anyway. Prefer to carry it by the handle.

Here's some more ideas:

Multi-meter

Decent set of Ratchet crimpers >> 1.5mm - 6.0mm Insulated Crimp Tool

Cyclops cable stripper (good for flex and Cat5 cable) >> Cyclops Cable Stripping Tool

Rotary coax stripper >> Televes Professional Rotary Coax Stripper

IDC punchdown tool (for data and telecoms) >> IDC Insertion Tool

Head torch >> LED Headtorch - 1 watt

PVC Pipe cutters (good for cutting conduit etc.) >> Toolstation > Hand Tools > Plumbers Tools > PVC Pipe Cutter

Scutch chisel >> Toolstation > Hand Tools > Hammers > Faithfull Scutch Chisel & combs >> Toolstation > Hand Tools > Hammers > Faithfull Scutch Comb

And look after the old knees ;) >> Toolstation > Workwear > Knee Protection > Gel Knee Pads

I got home and noticed starp missing not too bothered would not have used strap anyway and could not be bothered go all the way back for it

Reply to What to buy? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net