What’s the best way to fix this small gap in the consumer unit? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What’s the best way to fix this small gap in the consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No idea why this has happened…
What’s the best way of fixing this? I’m thinking of buying a plastic blank to push in and cutting it to fit in?

[ElectriciansForums.net] What’s the best way to fix this small gap in the consumer unit?
[ElectriciansForums.net] What’s the best way to fix this small gap in the consumer unit?

It would be tricky but you could try cutting a thin piece of blanking plate to fit as you have said. I think some might use tape or a sticker but it wouldn't look good. The alternative which is a pain in the butt would be to move everything over on the din rail slightly so you have a small acceptable gap at both ends, I am assuming it is tight on the righthand side.

It has a cover on it so I would be tempted to say it might be ok but given the gap being annoyingly sized and the cover not needing a tool to open it means I wouldn't be too happy to leave it like that.

They don't come with that lovely yellow identification strip. Do you buy those separately, or have you got a clever label printer? I like it!

All the Fusebox boards I have bought come with a grey plastic adjustment blank that would fill that gap. Did that one not come with one?
Now that you mention it, I did see one. But I threw it back in the envelope because I assumed it was a full size blank lol. I’ll have to check it out tomorrow.

They don't come with that lovely yellow identification strip. Do you buy those separately, or have you got a clever label printer? I like it!
its from a brother label printer, the e550 model. I just bought it the other day. It allows 24mm tape and smaller sizes. It’s quite handy as you can do everything via the app on your phone which makes life much easier

Why is the bell on a rcbo?
Maybe it’s wired in t&e, comes out the board, buried less than 50mm… does a U turn… goes back into the board to feed the transformer.

Usually, the blanks are full width, in a strip. You used to get half-width sizes when some modules were one and a half width… but this gap isn’t worth filling.

Adjustable blanks must have passed me by.

The hole in the cover is the size of so many individual modules… to have that much left over that it needs filled with a blank of that same dimension doesn’t make sense.

The tolerance or margin of error per module must be quite big here.

It’s going to be a squeeze retaking the cover off again if that’s made it tight

Its funny how every manufacturer makes circuits breakers, rcd's transformers etc to all be the same width... or multiples of the same width... Its like they were designed to be interchangable with each other...

oh but here comes BS7671.... no mixing and matching

Its funny how every manufacturer makes circuits breakers, rcd's transformers etc to all be the same width... or multiples of the same width... Its like they were designed to be interchangable with each other...

...and then all set busbar connections slightly differently.

I suspect (without any supporting evidence) that this may be a DIN (or other) standard.
Yeah… that’s why it’s called a DIN rail….
But why have a standard that everybody agrees to, that can physically be used together, but regs don’t permit it.

Sorry for sliding off subject.

Mixing and matching is fine as long as the completed assembly is tested and certified to the relevant standards.
Yeah… that’s why it’s called a DIN rail….
But why have a standard that everybody agrees to, that can physically be used together, but regs don’t permit it.

Sorry for sliding off subject.

DIN rails and DIN standard modules are used for building up a whole world of things other than consumer units.

Reply to What’s the best way to fix this small gap in the consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net