when is a cat 2 fittin not a cat 2 . . . . | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss when is a cat 2 fittin not a cat 2 . . . . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
more and more I am coming across fittings that are marked up cat 2 double insulated when there clearly surrounded with metal. Had a customer supplied fitting with metal base and a cowel that was powder coated alumininium.... not an earth terminal in site!

The answer to your question is when it’s a fake / faulty or mislabelled. Being of a metal case means nothing.

Irons / kettles are class two devices...ther’re quite metally ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely if a device is double insulated and deemed ClassII and the metal base measures > 20kohms to earth then it wouldn't need connecting to a CPC.... and the metal base would have no bearing on the appliances elegibility to qualify as ClassII?

The fundamental requirement for double insulation is that no single failure will result in a shock risk. This can be achieved by two layers of insulation or a single layer of reinforced insulation. There is a certain manufacturer that produces metal cased class II convector heaters with no insulation between live parts and the casing which according to British Standards is not Class II. After much debate with Trading Standards many years ago I hit a brick wall that they were CE marked and met the standards required for the country of origin.

There is a lot of ceiling lighting about, CE marked, which bears Class 2 markings, but relies on integrity of a single layer of thin walled plastic of a microscopic clip together JB loose inside metal pattress.
These are sold by big UK retailers, I don't understand how they get to be "Class 2" which they clearly aren't.
[ElectriciansForums.net] when is a cat 2 fittin not a cat 2 . . . .

more and more I am coming across fittings that are marked up cat 2 double insulated when there clearly surrounded with metal. Had a customer supplied fitting with metal base and a cowel that was powder coated alumininium.... not an earth terminal in site!

Double insulated equipment can be made of metal, as long as there ‘double insulation’ between the metal and the live parts.

There is a lot of ceiling lighting about, CE marked, which bears Class 2 markings, but relies on integrity of a single layer of thin walled plastic of a microscopic clip together JB loose inside metal pattress.
These are sold by big UK retailers, I don't understand how they get to be "Class 2" which they clearly aren't.
View attachment 39662
agreed . . . and that was the point I was making.

Reply to when is a cat 2 fittin not a cat 2 . . . . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net