Where to start | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Where to start in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OhmElectrical

I'm full time and do like my job but thinking of starting working for myself.

I've got enough basic tools etc to cover most jobs and except part p have got all qualifications I need.

I have never officially worked in domestic side of things but have done the odd job for a friend "that he has then had certified"

I am confident in my ability as both domestic and industrial as an more familiar with three phase installations than that if domestic.

I also am reasonably confident on control systems basic plc, relay logic etc.

Where would I start looking for work do I advertise in local papers?
Look for agencies ?

Ideally i would like to try weekends and evenings on my own for 6-12 months to make sure I'm confident comfortable and above all safe to pay the morgage,

What kind if costs are incurred in starting up I have a axe big enough (estate) so just need sort out insurances and do people recommend joining a official group I.e. Nic etc

Thanks for any tips,

Completely lost at the minute bit of a ind field and some people on the web I have researched their input is less than useful

Theres loads of guys around who have done some industrial work when they worked for a company , then became self employed and only do domestic with the odd commercial job , these are fully qualified guys been doing it for years , these are proper sparks , just because they haven't done industrial for years and became tainted as domestic only doesn't make them any less than any other , thats whats happened to me and many other guys I know ..

As Dave sid you can't call a Electrical Trainee a domestic sparks ...nowhere near..
sums up my work scenario at the moment.
just because i don't make off 300mm swa cables much these days does not mean i don't know how to go about it when the situation arises.
to the op here is a bit of advice i give to anyone who wants to step in the self employment ring.
working saturdays and sundays and a few hours most nights comes up to something like 24 hours.
what are you gonna do for the other 24 hours you will have to find to keep the wheels of the truck of industry greased?
subby work .. rates are low and you would be better off employed.
Contact work for builders etc.. expect long drawn out jobs taking three times as long as they should and cash-flow problems.
private work for domestic clients.. should pay relatively quickly but dealing with the general public is a skill that no one teaches you really.
find the right mix in that and its gravy really!
stay where you are if you like your job i would say.

Reply to Where to start in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net