Who can do a periodic( condition report) for localathority licence? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Who can do a periodic( condition report) for localathority licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am a domestic installer with nic. I have my 2395. But am I alowed to do condition reports for local authority licence? I suspect I cannot as the nic certs are only available to approved contractors. Am I right.

i am pricing up a job for 12 flats, the land lady wants them done so she can get her licence,don't particularly want to loose job but I want to do it right.

Firstly forget this niceic approved or whatever,it is irrelevant to "who" can carry out Eicrs

There is no law or regulation restricting anybody from reporting
There is a suggestion by the IET that a person has above average knowledge and experience of the type of installation
There is suggestion that a person get themselves indemnity insurance
There is suggestion competence be demonstrated,a 2391 is one means
There is the motivation factor,can you compete against drive by Eicrs produced on mass by large testing firms?

Now this is the important bit
There is the requirements a client (eg the council)will make of the person or company
They may require some or all of the above
They may require professional registration with an electrical register
They may favour one register over another
They may favour the type of registration of that particular register

In a nutshell its best to ring them and have a chat
[ElectriciansForums.net] Who can do a periodic( condition report) for localathority licence?

Firstly forget this niceic approved or whatever,it is irrelevant to "who" can carry out Eicrs

There is no law or regulation restricting anybody from reporting
There is a suggestion by the IET that a person has above average knowledge and experience of the type of installation
There is suggestion that a person get themselves indemnity insurance
There is suggestion competence be demonstrated,a 2391 is one means
There is the motivation factor,can you compete against drive by Eicrs produced on mass by large testing firms?

Now this is the important bit
There is the requirements a client (eg the council)will make of the person or company
They may require some or all of the above
They may require professional registration with an electrical register
They may favour one register over another
They may favour the type of registration of that particular register

In a nutshell its best to ring them and have a chat
[ElectriciansForums.net] Who can do a periodic( condition report) for localathority licence?

brilliant responce and advice. Unfortunately the local authority only accept NICEIC or ECA certificates, so because nic only have condition reports for approved contractors I'm a bit stuck. I'll have to find a local friendly approved contractor who needs some work. Anyone out there in the torbay area.

brilliant responce and advice. Unfortunately the local authority only accept NICEIC or ECA certificates, so because nic only have condition reports for approved contractors I'm a bit stuck. I'll have to find a local friendly approved contractor who needs some work. Anyone out there in the torbay area.

Given D56's response, the council may be on something of a 'sticky wicket' with regard to 'restrictive practices; after all ANY inspection competently carried out IAW BS 7671 and other approved codes of practice such as the IET's GN3 SHOULD be acceptable. The difficulty for the council ... and for you is 'how does the customer or the council know that a competent job has been done?' In theory membership of NICEIC 'guarantees' that, yet as experienced members on here will tell you that sometimes that 'guarantee' is about as much good as a chocolate fire guard!

Doesn't really help you as you are a DI. According to my NAPIT assessor he said that all local authorities in England now accept NAPIT EICRs. Some in Wales still don't though.

Jump ship I would say, NIC historically have had a stranglehold hence they try to take the pish more than the other schemes. You don't get much with NAPIT either but they are marginally better.

One reason I didn't join NIC is the problem you face.

Reply to Who can do a periodic( condition report) for localathority licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net