Why aren't AFDD's a requirement in hotels like they are in HMO's | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Why aren't AFDD's a requirement in hotels like they are in HMO's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

David1977m

Trainee
Reaction score
I understand that the IET say AFDD's 'must be considered' for hotels, however in HMO's, High Risk Residential Buildings, Student accommodation and care homes they are a requirement on sockets not exceeding 32Amps as stated in BS7671 (421.1.7). Why wouldn't hotels be compulsory? Is it just a cost thing or is there a valid reason? (I bet you can't guess what L3 Unit I'm doing extra study for? 🤣).

https://electrical.------.org/cours...onsumer-guidance/arc-fault-detection-devices/

Possibly because hotels are commercial, and will (should!) have a programme of frequent testing in place. Fixed wiring and PAT.

Other accommodation, although tested, may have the occupants own equipment plugged in.

I know AFDDs are for sensing arcs in either fixed wiring AND portable appliances, but its more likely from some students dodgy cheap toastie maker.

Possibly because hotels are commercial, and will (should!) have a programme of frequent testing in place. Fixed wiring and PAT.

Other accommodation, although tested, may have the occupants own equipment plugged in.

I know AFDDs are for sensing arcs in either fixed wiring AND portable appliances, but its more likely from some students dodgy cheap toastie maker.
I get what you are saying, and it sounds logical, however in GN3 it's the same periodic inspection times as HMO's or offices of routine check yearly and maximum time between inspections of 5 years. Plus, you get dodgy cheap people like my 80-year-old dad who takes his own mini fridge and toaster away with him in the UK every month 🤦‍♂️. It just seems like they forgot about hotels, I thought maybe there was something else covering hotels that I had overlooked.

Hotels generally are just for sleeping in. Not cooking… (apart from “cooking” a cup of coffee, but kettles are supplied and tested) whereas HMOs, student accommodation etc are for “living” in

Taking your own fridge and toaster to a hotel is not the expected norm.

Saying that, everybody will be taking phone chargers these days…. And if you’re in a hotel for any length of time (personal experience, 6 weeks on a job) you might take a games console to alieve evening boredom.

Reply to Why aren't AFDD's a requirement in hotels like they are in HMO's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks