Why did this happen ? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Why did this happen ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
OK, 1st post and I admit it will seem unbelievable, but here goes:
Some details first. My wife and I live in an average size 1960s 3 bed detached bungalow with a single phase 80amp TNS
supply. Gas central heating but all electric cooking with standard white goods - no car chargers, hot tubs, patio heaters or anything like that.
About 10 years ago our electricity supplier (EON) sent out an annual usage summary that revealed usage in the previous 12 months had been over 10,000 Kwh. I thought there must be some mistake, and dug out some paper copies of bills
going back a year or two which were all in the 10 - 12000 Kwh/year range (I agree I should have noticed sooner).
This seemed an incredible amount of electricity to be using, and I thought the new meter that had been installed a couple of years earlier was at fault, so I insisted EON installed a checkmeter, which they (reluctantly) did. The DNO also changed the fuse carrier/head at roughly the same time, as the pitch insulation was leaking from the old one.
My initial disappointment at seeing both meters record almost identical readings quickly improved when I realised our usage was now much more reasonable, and in fact in all the years since we have never exceeded 5500Kwh/year. Now I admit we had a 'put that light out' campaign, but a saving of 5000Kwh ???
This has been nagging away at me for years, so having discovered this site I wondered if any professional electricians out there had any ideas about where all the electricity went ?

My mother's kitchen was lit by a single 5' fluorescent tube, rated at 58W, and was every bit as well lit as one with 10 x 50W halogen downlights consuming nearly ten times as much. Now the halogens are replaced by LEDs, and we're back to 50W.
So much for progress.
Recently I replaced the 5' fluorescent fittings in my parents kitchen (is is about 15m long but only about 3m wide at most) with dual strip LEDs, about the same power but brighter (eyes not what they were) and better colour rendering, also near-instant on.

Recently I replaced the 5' fluorescent fittings in my parents kitchen (is is about 15m long but only about 3m wide at most) with dual strip LEDs, about the same power but brighter (eyes not what they were) and better colour rendering, also near-instant on.

Not a fan of downlights and have a decorative LED ceiling light in the kitchen at around 35W. Could be brighter, but on a par with 4' LED batten and under cabinet lights can be used by anyone cooking more than a pot noodle.

Not a fan of downlights and have a decorative LED ceiling light in the kitchen at around 35W. Could be brighter, but on a par with 4' LED batten and under cabinet lights can be used by anyone cooking more than a pot noodle.
These days it seems most lights are not really designed to light the place! For example, the pitiful arrangements in many hotels, etc.

Also the likes of kitchens without light to actually prepare food with ease. Doh! Who cooks these days?!

Reply to Why did this happen ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net