Why I'm glad I don't rely on domestic | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Why I'm glad I don't rely on domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GMES

Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Bloody domestic customers, I got a call Saturday teatime asking if I could quote for a cu change / 20 new double sockets and new lighting circuit, now even though I don't do much domestic it sounded worthwhile so I asked when would be convenient to come and price it up so he said any day this week except Monday as nobody would be in while late at night, so I rang him yesterday ( Tuesday ) no answer so thought I would try my luck and called to house ( about 15 minutes from my home, nobody in so left it till this morning and sent him a message explaining I had tried to ring him and that I had been to house. 10 minutes later get a reply saying not to worry as he had got it sorted as he couldn't wait. The bloody mind boggles with these people absolutely no decency or patience even though he had said any day this week. I get the impression that the public think that electricians have got nothing better to do than **** about chasing after them.
I think it as made my mind up to completely avoid domestic work from now on. I think is name was Rick with a silent p if you want to avoid him.

If someone didn't answer the phone I would say its a bit forward just turning up at their house anyway...

There is a lot of time wasters in domestic, but after a while you can usually suss them out within seconds chatting on the phone.

My first questions are usually , when do you want this done and what does your fuse box look like :p

Just got my name torched on Yell....loads of happy customers previously, though none had written a yell review...only review...1 star with quite a few unfounded accusations.....including a non existent hole in the floor...tbh....moments like these make me want to jack it all in...got a wife going in for serious surgery next week, mum not doing the best either and now a customer hellbent on taking me to the cleaners and grinding my name into mud.....

Just got my name torched on Yell....loads of happy customers previously, though none had written a yell review...only review...1 star with quite a few unfounded accusations.....including a non existent hole in the floor...tbh....moments like these make me want to jack it all in...got a wife going in for serious surgery next week, mum not doing the best either and now a customer hellbent on taking me to the cleaners and grinding my name into mud.....
nil illegitimates carborundum

so threaten him with a libel suit.

I also find half of them have no scruples,if that's the word.Do an estimate and all agreed then they cancel.Or estimate and do a few jobs like cu change and get paid,then I can't contact them any more or get any answers on what's next.

I'm going to speak to zurich tomorrow and see what they say.....tricky part is proving its libel.....seemingly he got another company in (who of course found reams of faults...) to write a report...which complicates matters...and now the wife is in tears....

Sorry to hear of your troubles, overskilled, especially the bit about your wife; I have a soft spot for her (not in THAT way, she's at the other end of the country!), since she took the trouble to help with the website. Hope this make her smile, if only a little. Stay on the Forums, it helps to talk with friends when you're having a tough time.

i know your pain. got a dispute going with a customer who wont pay. used my insurance for a solicitor (fat waste of 6 months) she sent 3 or 4 letters arguing why shes not paying and all was nasty ----. one was 2 pages long saying how she doesnt like me, no-one likes me, my works ----, no one wants to work with me etc etc, saying she has witness statements from people saying all this. so no actual evidence for why she wont pay. I went to school with 2 of the trades people, one was my first EVER boyfriend when I was about 12, the project manager is a dear friend who arranged my surprised birthday last year!! she got me so upset I accused all of them, and none of them had any idea what I was on about.

Hope your wife feels better soon.

It doesnt feel like it now but it will get better.

Reply to Why I'm glad I don't rely on domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net