Will this RCD fit into this board? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Will this RCD fit into this board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Morning....

I have a chap who wants 30mA protection on all his circuits.

He currently has the main switch as seen in the picture below showing the whole CU
[ElectriciansForums.net] Will this RCD fit into this board?

Will the RCD below fit into this board in the same place?
[ElectriciansForums.net] Will this RCD fit into this board?
The one he has is marked WSEM, the one I can buy is WSES. Are these interchangeable?

If they are not then I may try and convince him just to have 30mA protection on the circuit I will be working on. So my next question is, is there an RCBO which will fit this board?

Cheers.

Did you delete my post SC? I was deliberately dangling a carrot though, sorry. I've had a glass of ale and instead of ignoring the silly people on here I tend to push them a little (albeit politely), which is just silly of me (but a bit of fun). My apologies Miss SC:)

It wasn't me, I had a short sharp reply typed up in response to the snide comment, was mulling over whether to post it or not or delete the offenders comment but @Sintra beat me to it :)

HHd I presume it was deleted because you had quoted the offending post in your reply, yours was probably a casualty of war.
Depending what you said could have also been deemed not suitable.
Edit.
Can you not see where it says deleted, it gives you the reason which was you'd quoted the offending post.

I have a number of clients with the same board with 30ma RCD main switches which rarely trip, there is an estate near me where all the houses had this arrangement. 4293 RCD's tend to be more stable than 61008's in my experience. If the 100ma unit failed and the client did not want to pay for a CU change I would have no problems with changing the failed RCD for a replacement 30ma unit, neither would I have any problem with happyhippydads reason for replacing it as long as the client was made fully aware of the possible issues, which would be stated on the cert issued to the client.

well you can do what you like, but it doesn't comply, by all means bosh a second hand ebay one in there and deny you ever did it if that's the route you want, but you cant cert that you did it

your the electrician... you tell him what he can have? what he "wants" is irrelevent
Yes you can, you just state on the cert that the existing unit had failed and was replaced with a 30ma unit because the client refused a CU change and the installation had no earth fault protection without a replacement. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

HHd I presume it was deleted because you had quoted the offending post in your reply, yours was probably a casualty of war.
Depending what you said could have also been deemed not suitable.
Edit.
Can you not see where it says deleted, it gives you the reason which was you'd quoted the offending post.
My post says deleted, but that was edited by me, cause I was far too late to the party to ask if it was a TT system.

I did say you could argue it's an improvement... not sure I would :)

I've got a client with one of those boards and when it came to testing some changes, I couldn't even get 1/2x test to complete. Ramp tested the RCD with nothing on it and it was tripping at around 12mA.

Only tripped when I tested it, despite the installation being somewhat old.

The risks could perhaps be mitigated somewhat with a couple of well placed emergency lights.

If the existing RCD is duff, I would have no qualms with replacing it with something like for like. Don't think thats the proposal here?

I'm not sure if its a TT or not. Could you tell me why that makes a difference?
I dont want to change it but that is what the customer is asking for. Ive given him the alternatives but he is adamant thats what he wants.
It makes a difference as if it is a TT the high earth loop impedance would be too high for the protective device (MCB) to operate therefore in this instance years ago when this consumer unit was installed a 100mA RCD main switch was fitted. I asked if the existing was faulty if it is a like for like is maintenance if you are installing a 30mA is fitted it is a change of the original design. I do not understand why the customer is telling you the electrician what the design is to overcome compliance with the latest regs of the work undertaken. I am suspecting that they do not want (or pay for)a stand-alone RCD for each circuit you are altering/addition to apologies if my assumption is incorrect.

I think you must be deleting too many posts and getting forgetful;)
My post that says deleted merely said "Is a TT system". Posted right after HHD posted to say he didn't know.

Had to check and see if I had a second post that said deleted:flushed::tongueclosed:

Must have been somebody else's I deleted then... but your's has gone now :D

I think from the back of my mind the difference is one is designated as the main switch hence WSEM(ain) and the other was for the split load board hence WSES(plit). Are they interchangeable theoretically no, will it fit probably.

Last edited:
It's not...but if HHD wants to replace it with a 30ma unit to suit his purposes all he has to do is state on the cert it was replaced because it was duff. Who's going to know any different.

HHD will.

We've all told little white lies, or down things we shouldn't have; thats up to the individual. :)

In this case, after installing the new 30mA RCD, he could ended going back there more times than he might like.

We all know its not the correct thing to do, hence why HHD has posted here to convince him otherwise.

HHD, if it was me, I would Just replace it with 30ma and put on EIC it was like for like. If it does nuisance trip, and I would pray that it does sometimes lol then it will be a nuisance for the home owner........who deserves it as he has been a nuisance to you by telling you your job :)
He really is a bit of a nuisance TJ, one of those that simple will not listen to reason, whereas most customers listen to your advice and take it. Your post made me laugh:)
I think from the back of my mind the difference is one is designated as the main switch hence WSEM(ain) and the other was for the split load board hence WSES(plit). Are they interchangeable theoretically no, will it fit probably.
Thanks for that Westward, thats useful info.
According to my old Wylex Cat. 1995 and taking the point Westward10 made regarding M it is an 80mm RCD and was available in 40, 80 & 100A with 100mA trip only The S one was only available up to 80A in 30mA I think your best bet is to ask Wylex if it will fit but the way the catalogue is set out it seems not as you would not have the M or S.
As above Anthony, thanks.

Sounds like my memory is correct Ant.
I've contacted Wylex tech, they have 2 people working there, one is on holiday and one is sick! I've sent an email so when I get the answer I'll let you know...... but only if you're wrong as otherwise you'll just show off. ;)

Reply to Will this RCD fit into this board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net