wirelss comms | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter moggy1968
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 2K

Discuss wirelss comms in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

moggy1968

normally I use SMA if I need a wireless interface but the lack of SMA3600s has made me look at power one or fronius 3.6.
I know the power one can have a wirelss card. Is it possible to use that directly with a laptop (presumably uasing download software) or do you have to have the desktop display as well, making it quite a pricey option?

can you get a wirelss unit for the Fronius 3.6 and likewise can you use it wirelessly with a laptop?

All help gratefully received!

I have a vague recollection about the wireless protocol for Power One Auroras being asked about before and I do not believe it has been made publically available. It is not Bluetooth. You are unlikely to be able to access it direct from a laptop, but need to plug into the Aurora desktop device using usb.

The Power One Auroras do have buit in RS485 and built in usb so it is possible to connect a laptop directly with their software, although I have not tried myself.

Regards
Bruce

I don't think you can get a wireless one as such for the fronius...think it's a network box thing that u access online to see the system stats but it's silly money I believe although u can link more than one system to compare between them that's the only plus

The Auroras have RS485 and USB but if I recall correctly they advise against using the USB for anything other than fault diagnosis.

We have connected them to a computer but only through the desktop device.

The Fronius 3.6TL has a USB socket and you can download data from the inverter. There is a piece of free software from Fronius called Solar.Access which can import the data from the USB stick and gives quite a nice display. It is obviously not real time but it is cheap and free.

I have used it a couple of times and customers seem to like it.

The Auroras have RS485 and USB but if I recall correctly they advise against using the USB for anything other than fault diagnosis.

We have connected them to a computer but only through the desktop device.

I've had a laptop connected via USB for 2 months with no ill effects - I think the issue is that the USB port is only on the outdoor versions so you definitely don't want to leave the opening in the side of the inverter open when the inverter is installed outdoors but indoors shouldn't be an issue. You can use either the Aurora Communicator SW or one of a number of public domain software applications that people have written - some run on Linux and some on Windows.

The Fronius 3.6TL has a USB socket and you can download data from the inverter. There is a piece of free software from Fronius called Solar.Access which can import the data from the USB stick and gives quite a nice display. It is obviously not real time but it is cheap and free.

I have used it a couple of times and customers seem to like it.

I use that too and it's pretty good.
Would still like a cost effective real time web uploading solution over Cat5 via my network.

Fronius have just bought out a new box that connects to the inverter, this sends data to the standard wirless display, prices are not cheap though, more than power one, I have supplied many power one wirless displays however these can be unreliable, especially when connecting to a PC, they dont work with VIsta fpr instance, as I found out to my cost.

Fronius have just bought out a new box that connects to the inverter, this sends data to the standard wirless display, prices are not cheap though,

Does this also feature a live update via the Internet?
Have you got an approx guide price to see if it's viable for me? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres no live update, its just a fix in that the TL series dident work with the old wireless cards Fronius used, poor planning me thinks, the display is around £160 and the sender around £90, there are better generic solutions for less money in my opinion.

Theres no live update, its just a fix in that the TL series dident work with the old wireless cards Fronius used, poor planning me thinks, the display is around £160 and the sender around £90, there are better generic solutions for less money in my opinion.

I currently using a Geo Solo PV for a remote display and have a USB stick in my IGTL 3.6 for collection of data every now and again. I'd probably be no better off than I am now then with that option. I'd love a live web update option though.

Reply to wirelss comms in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net