Wiring advice for a novice | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wiring advice for a novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I discovered a blank face plate in our large food cupboard and thought- ‘if there’s wiring behind this then I could put a little microwave in there’

There is wiring. (See horrible photo) so I will wire in a single plug socket there.

Being a novice I wanted to check the following-
After isolating power I will attach the following to their respective holes in the outlet:

Brown - live
Red- neutral (I’m used to being blue?)
Green yellow- earth

Question- I notice the wires are doubled up together in the terminal blocks. Why is this? Cos they come from different sources? If so why not just bring the power from one source?

I’m assuming I attach each pair of wires as one into their respective holes in the new outlet I will put in.

Thanks in advance for any advice that will potentially save my life :)

[ElectriciansForums.net] Wiring advice for a novice

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Wiring advice for a novice
    7CB04356-115F-43F1-BCF8-40CF29DC44C8.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 43
OP means “original post” or “original poster”

The evidence we have is a single box. We think it’s shallow, so suggests a switch, rather than a socket. But photo can be deceiving.
It also shows 1.5mm cable. Again, not conclusive.
Red tape on black conductor. This also suggests a light switch. Red for feed, identified black for switch wire.

I’d say discarded lightswitch 99% sure.

The 100% confirmation is by testing between that red and black. Which none of us can do over the internet.

The OP has already said he will get an electrician in. Best course of action.

Reply to Wiring advice for a novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net