Currently reading:
Working by yourself

Discuss Working by yourself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
How many of you work on your own as opposed to with a helper/apprentice or partner or whatever, do you enjoy being on your lonesome or do you find it a pain in the arse. Me personally I have zero motivation or interest if I'm on a job by myself, things inevitably go wrong and you always need someone one else there, even if its to tug on a cable whilst you feed it in, it can save hours and make a difficult job easy, even though there might not be enough true work for two people for the day.

Saying that, I'm doing a lot of work at home structurally and I prefer to be on my own then, I find other people a hinderance to be honest but that's because I can plan things my way and I'm not reliant on deadlines or other trades doing things that mess my day up.

90% of my work is on my own.
however it is mostly industrial and if required a helping hand can normally be obtained.

On my own.

i cant trust anyone else... and even non-electrical jobs, i prefer to do myself than get someone in.... even if it takes months.

There are a lot of tradesmen... plumbers and joiners... i have worked with who i wouldnt like anywhere near my house....

If theres a problem, and ive made it... then fine. hands up, get it sorted.... but when its someone else, for a tiddly little issue.... then you cant get hold of them again.

I understand the principles of avoiding "lone working"... but if the customer is there, or you've got your phone... if something happens... help isnt far away.

I've always worked by myself. My wife has always said that I'm impossible to work with, and she may have a point. Seem to remember my father saying something similar, as well.
Having said that, I have, on occasions, worked for, and with, a few selected competent and experienced DIYers

I really don't get how you do it by yourself. How can you turn up to say an occupied re-wire, maybe spend all day inching a bed across the room when two people could shift it in ten minutes, or you spend 3 hours trying to fish a cable under a floor when all it would take is one person at the other end to just help it along a bit and get it done in seconds. Do you not pull your hair out thinking how simple it could be.

That's without the social aspect, who wants to spend all day in a cold dark house in the middle of winter without seeing another soul all day. The only reason I like working at home by myself is because its my home, I can go to bed for an hour at 1PM if I choose or sit down and watch a bit of TV at lunch time. I don't mind working by myself if there are other trades on site as we all get along and they will help out as required. And lastly there is the deadline problem, everyone wants everything done yesterday and I'm well past working my knackers off to get things done ASAP to suit someone else.

pick and choose the jobs, being self employed.

That way, i dont end up shifting furniture.... in fact... if anything breakable needs moved, its on the customer to shift it.... not me.

Even when working on a site with "other trades", my 'standard' working day was 10am to 6pm. No heavy traffic to contend with, morning or evening, and I got more work done in that last one and a half hours than the previous three.

pick and choose the jobs, being self employed.

That way, i dont end up shifting furniture.... in fact... if anything breakable needs moved, its on the customer to shift it.... not me.
That's what I do and have a business partner but he wants to "maximise profits" by doing separate jobs but he also thinks we should take every job because "that's our job" and quite frankly there's no chance of that happening my end.

Seems a tad bizarre to push this on me because I'm the QM, he hasn't even got the 18th yet.

I've worked on my own for most of my life and preferred it that way. Over the last few years I've come to prefer working alongside someone else, but only if that someone else is interested in the work and competent or keen to learn.

You are lucky if you find somebody that aligned with your way of working….

I just have to listen to the toe rags from the bigger companies standing at the wholesaler counter, complaining over nothing, moaning about this, that and the other…. Shows me I couldn’t work with them, or they work for me.

You are lucky if you find somebody that aligned with your way of working….

I just have to listen to the toe rags from the bigger companies standing at the wholesaler counter, complaining over nothing, moaning about this, that and the other…. Shows me I couldn’t work with them, or they work for me.
How many people have you mentored/ trained up.

I have no preference really, I am a firm believer that two blokes can get more done in a day than one bloke can do in two! It is really useful having an extra pair of hands.
If I'm working on my own I'm quite happy, get some music on and crack on with it!
Even when things don't go as planned I've always thought sod it what will be will be!

Always have had a get up and get on with it attitude whatever it is that I'm doing which definitely helps.

I'm a bit sad in that I love installing and making things and if I sit still for much longer than a cuppa and a cigarette I get board and restless!

Reply to Working by yourself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electricians on FB Group

Electricians Forums on FB

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back