Currently reading:
Working by yourself

Discuss Working by yourself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

over the years, working for companies, I’ve had the chance having apprentices… but they got moved around jobs to give them variation.

I CAN work with other people… I just choose not to.

I guess much depends on the sort of work being carried out. If you're doing a lot of stuff that requires being in two places at the same time, then life becomes very difficult working alone and this could be why my thinking has shifted.

Doesnt answer the question though, you could never get used to using a see-saw by yourself for eg.
I prefer it by myself.
With regards a rewire, I will carry out a thorough pre works visit. From this you can tell the customer which items they have to move out of the way beforehand, I.e. big bed gets put on its side etc.
Saying that, a rewire is the one job I will get a labourer in for, mostly for chasing. However, it's peferfectly doable by yourself, just hard work.

You just get used to working by yourself, and I can think of only one time ever I actually HAD to have a second pair of hands, to move a NSH.

Play whatever radio station you want.
Walk around pondering for 30 mins without feeling silly.
Sing your heart out, without feeling silly.
Work late, stop early, turn up late, turn up early, it's up to you.

Dragging 100m of 50mm 4 core off a reel might be somewhat tedious working single handed. Getting it though 50m of duct, then turning 90 degrees for a further 20m will bring you to the point of packing up and walking off site.

Pulling cable though trunking routed around other services, 30' off the ground, and at full stretch from a scissor lift isn't fun at the best of times.

Getting that extra cable through a 10m length of conduit while simultaneously feeding and pulling it is basically impossible.

A couple of recent rebuilds were knocked out by two of us in about a quarter of the time I could have done them alone.

My mind isn't changing, provided that extra pair of hands know what they're doing.

Dragging 100m of 50mm 4 core off a reel might be somewhat tedious working single handed. Getting it though 50m of duct, then turning 90 degrees for a further 20m will bring you to the point of packing up and walking off site.

Pulling cable though trunking routed around other services, 30' off the ground, and at full stretch from a scissor lift isn't fun at the best of times.

Getting that extra cable through a 10m length of conduit while simultaneously feeding and pulling it is basically impossible.

A couple of recent rebuilds were knocked out by two of us in about a quarter of the time I could have done them alone.

My mind isn't changing, provided that extra pair of hands know what they're doing.
2 x 240mm 4 core sub mains through a factory would be a challenge. It took four of us, through walls, above spray booths and 90 degree ups downs and rounds at different levels.
Jeez, making me feel sore. I've a bad back replacing a couple of 5ft fittings these days.

Solo .Unless I need someone for "manual " work and thats not often. Its all about trust and the only time there seems to be issues are when other trades are working on the property . I tend to not like being around them as they have a different "attitude " to work and life than me !

Last edited:
I prefer it by myself.
With regards a rewire, I will carry out a thorough pre works visit. From this you can tell the customer which items they have to move out of the way beforehand, I.e. big bed gets put on its side etc.
Saying that, a rewire is the one job I will get a labourer in for, mostly for chasing. However, it's peferfectly doable by yourself, just hard work.

You just get used to working by yourself, and I can think of only one time ever I actually HAD to have a second pair of hands, to move a NSH.

Play whatever radio station you want.
Walk around pondering for 30 mins without feeling silly.
Sing your heart out, without feeling silly.
Work late, stop early, turn up late, turn up early, it's up to you.
^this.

I discovered recently I'm officially nuerodiverse. What we used to just call being an awkward ****. But Ive allways liked to do things my way and be in control of all elements.

Sometimes I'll get a grunt to do some chasing if I've got lots on but mostly I don't care for having to think or plan for two, and god alone knows how I'd manage any more paperwork, the idea of having someone in employment with rights and things is terrifying.

It all depends who you are working with. In the past 40 years I can think of two people who when I worked with we were like peas in a pod. We'd talk about the job then crack on with little debate whilst we were doing it because we knew how to second guess each other, we just flowed together.

^^^ I had an apprentice like that, he was a great lad worked really hard and listened well.
By the end of year 3 he was absolutely superb, we could get through jobs with great speed and efficiency.
One day he came in looking a bit down and said he had got another job with a big multinational company and that was that, I couldn't offer what they had so I lost him.
The next one lasted 2 days and then never came back!

99% on my own now for various reasons but mainly If I want to go home at lunch time I am happy to take the hit and not pay mself much that day. if I had someone with me I would need to pay them up for the full day. I have been on my own for so long now I don't think I could work any other way

Do the occasional job with other self employed sparks but mainly work on my own now and have done for 15 or more years. Given how the employment laws are these days I wouldn't want to directly employ anyone and have to find work for them with that in mind I rarely take on any jobs I can't handle myself
Looking to slip into semi retirement in the next few years and just do bits and pieces to keep myself occupied and top up the spending money

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Working by yourself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electricians on FB Group

Electricians Forums on FB

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back