Would you buy pliers that arent 1000v insulated? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Would you buy pliers that arent 1000v insulated? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piratebillybob

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
In reply to the OP then, regard buying non VDE gear, yes I do.

The vast majority of the time the tools i use are standard items without the VDE rating. Always find the VDE rated tools more bulky and a pain when they're not needed.

Any electrician worth his salt doesn’t need them! If you cut through a live cable I’ve no sympathy at all.
My big cable shears have no insulation at all, I’ve extended the handles with 2’ of conduit.
I DIDN'T MEAN TO START a debate on the moral , technical and safety implications of workin live or not,,, as we all should gnow the score with that one.... I just ment that i buy and use the best kit i can afford that will protect me if faults weather human or accidental should occure.. thankfully it never has....

It's a bit like air bags in cars this one. Does the knowledge of extra protection make a person less careful?

Personally I buy the stuff I need and like to use best. The cable strippers I use are 6" BluePoint automotive ones as they work best for me. Same as these except mine are about 25 years old. PWC6, Wire Stripper/Cutter, (AWG 10 to 20), 6"

I do own VDE tools, but it doesn't mean I would only buy them.

Depends on what you use em on and how? ie. Generally im stripping cable when its dead too. But i dont use pliers to do that. I have a Set of Elliott Lucas pliers, had them when i was apprentice and all the old boys had em. BUT barely got insulation on em.
Managed to find a new set of the origin ones recent so well chuffed. Again wouldnt use em in any potentially live situation. But to use as a general tool in my kit ive never beaten them.

I have to agree with Lenny, anything in my toybox which is expected to come into contact with terminals and cables is VDE rated and I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't. Just my personal preference:)

I'm afraid that after 20 years in industry I have made 1 or 2 mistakes and 1000v VDE equipment has possibly saved my skin. I'm really impressed that so many people can work in often high pressure situations and never need insulated gear. Good job guys...

It's a bit like air bags in cars this one. Does the knowledge of extra protection make a person less careful?

Personally I buy the stuff I need and like to use best. The cable strippers I use are 6" BluePoint automotive ones as they work best for me. Same as these except mine are about 25 years old. PWC6, Wire Stripper/Cutter, (AWG 10 to 20), 6"

I do own VDE tools, but it doesn't mean I would only buy them.
funny ya say that as i do own loads of different types of tools aan i have a pare of these type of strippers ... they actually quite good..... i have the unisulated kit to.. all knipex though blue an red handles.....by far the best for me ,,, an i have had loads of different sets my mate looses stuff all the time ...lol....have to start taking them out of his wages....

i didn't mean to start a debait on the moral , safety and technical implications of working live....thats just silly taking those kind of risks.... " i just ment i use the best kit i can afford ,that will offer the best protection for me..........

Did I say I took risks? You shouldn’t put yourself at risk, you should be competent at what your doing.
The lads on here will tell you I’ve no problems working live.

i did want bahco pliers but i didnt like the look of the VDE ones. So i went for Knipex and "draper expert knipex" which im assuming are the same thing

Im hoping theyll last me a good few years. Theres nothing better than having some tools you can be proud of

As all the old boys used elliot Lucas so have I 25 years later.i think the ones I have got are the comfort grip blue and red handle fellas.far better than bravo IMO.but we have all our own preferences.

i always use insulated screwdrivers pliers ect, but my cable cutters aint insulated. I always wear gloves though,and event though theyre not rated to 1000V, i bet if i meggered them theyd stand up to it. In my job/ insdustrial work ion general, eveyone should carry lockout kits, and proving units/testers. No excuses really.

Reply to Would you buy pliers that arent 1000v insulated? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks