WT Henley series 4 cutout | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss WT Henley series 4 cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently had a home rewiring and the electrician spotted we had no earth. It's an old house and it was never added by previous owners.

He installed a WT Henley series 4 cutout device for the time being as it was a more cost effective solution.

He's wired it up and now the property is all grounded to this box and it has an external 100amp fuse but aside from that, I don't really know how it works and the series 4 no longer appears on the Henley website.

Do you think this is a good temporary solution?

Some pictures of the distribution equipment would help as it is not clear from the description what has been done

Edit: Having read your post again did the DNO install the new cutout or was it done by your electrician

Last edited:
Electrician did everything except change the meter which eon did
[ElectriciansForums.net] WT Henley series 4 cutout

Electrician did everything except change the meter which eon did
I'm still trying to work out how it's all grounded, even with this cutout device.
In fitting the new cutout your electrician has created a TNCS / PME supply which depending on the local DNO network setup may or may not be available locally
On a TNCS supply the neutral conductor is also used as the earthing conductor

I'm thinking of getting one of those mains plug wiring testers to see if it does say we're earthed. Hopefully it is all done via the neutral coming into the house as you say (have read that online elsewhere) but the wires coming into the house are quite old too.

I'm thinking of getting one of those mains plug wiring testers to see if it does say we're earthed. Hopefully it is all done via the neutral coming into the house as you say (have read that online elsewhere) but the wires coming into the house are quite old too.
While they may tell you that you have an earth it will not tell you how good it is

Normal electricians shouldn’t be touching the cutout or meter, circled in red here….

For a property to not have an earth, that’s an issue for the supplier, not for someone to invent one from thin air.

[ElectriciansForums.net] WT Henley series 4 cutout

You say there’s an external fuse? Is that in a box outside? I would think the meter should be there too.
Can we see a photo of this external fuse?

Sorry when I said external I mean that bump on the outside of the henley. It's not hidden away inside the unit or anything. I'm not an electrician but an interested novice.

Normal electricians shouldn’t be touching the cutout or meter, circled in red here….

For a property to not have an earth, that’s an issue for the supplier, not for someone to invent one from thin air.

View attachment 117900

You say there’s an external fuse? Is that in a box outside? I would think the meter should be there too.
Can we see a photo of this external fuse?

The cutout box was installed by regular electrician after they said all the original sockets werent connected to any earth. the meter was installed couple of months later when eon said our spinning disc one was no longer reliable, not that I believe that, they just don't want ones that you can ubse magnets on! Still I'm happy with a dumb digital meter

Did the electrician who joined the DNO earth with the inline connector do any Earth loop impedance tests anywhere afterwards did he not give you a Test sheet of any kind?

A regular electrician has not done that head replacement just the earth terminal and do not disconnect notice suggests DNO.
I can't make up my mind on this one whether it is a DNO swap or not as it would not be beyond a very experienced spark to do it or an ex DNO spark

Did the electrician who joined the DNO earth with the inline connector do any Earth loop impedance tests anywhere afterwards did he not give you a Test sheet of any kind?
I think we did get some sort of test sheet by email but I think that was just for the consumer unit box. I'll try and find it

It's very unlikely that an electrician replaced that cutout.

It has been carried out using DNO materials to DNO standards, the most likely explanation is that it has been carried out by the DNO

Last edited by a moderator:
Certificate 2022? Test voltage 230 on IR - I'd expect that to be 250 or 500 if equipment disconnected (well that's what my MFT has).

5 Ring circuits seems mad. 7 Lighting circuits too!

Everything is working OK. There was lots of space in the big consumer box so had lots of circuits. Went from an old fuse wire box with 4 fuses to this giant grey box.

Got several pages but nothing specifically on if the earth is linked to the neutral from the mains, I'll have to ask the supplier I guess

There is a section on the mains supply which will give the type of supply as TNS, TNCS, TT etc this indicates the method of earthing

Reply to WT Henley series 4 cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net