your opinions please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss your opinions please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

stv292

-
Reaction score
custumer hasn't got a lot of money, shall i arrange for dno to p.m.e at the cost of 175 plus vat or tt it. i know p.m.e is far surpierier just looking for opinions.

You can only provide what the customer can pay for.

If this were me I would install a TT, make sure all readings are well within limits (like we do) and leave it up to the customer to save up to pay for it changing to a pme earth system later on.

custumer hasn't got a lot of money, shall i arrange for dno to p.m.e at the cost of 175 plus vat or tt it. i know p.m.e is far surpierier just looking for opinions.

These DNO's really take the biscuit, they can't provide a PME connection unless the supplying cable/network has already been PME'd, it's not a magical thing they can create at any cut-out. So if the supply is already there, where is the 175 quid they want, to link the neutral to the MET come from???

there is no form of outside earth, no earthing conductor, or protective bonding conductor, but the gas and water is plastic. should've been done years ago. she had a new shower circuit wired in 3 tears ago, installation prob 25 years

So since the property was built there has never been any kind of earth facility? No disrespect intended but I find that hard to believe plus surely whoever installed the shower should have spotted it?
I'd bet this job turns into a nightmare for you

I don't mean to sound harsh but, if it were me, we wouldn't even be having this conversation because as soon as I'd discovered the absence of any kind of earthing whatsoever I'd have installed earth electrodes and made my own TT system double quick!

Stop umming & arrring get round there tomorrow morning first thing and make it safe!!

Further to Lenny's comments, ....If your clients do decide on going the PME route and paying that totally extortionate charge at a later date, your earth electrode can still contribute to the overall earthing of this installation by leaving it connected to the MET. So in effect the TT'ing of this installation is not by any means a wasted exercise...

Further to Lenny's comments, ....If your clients do decide on going the PME route and paying that totally extortionate charge at a later date, your earth electrode can still contribute to the overall earthing of this installation by leaving it connected to the MET. So in effect the TT'ing of this installation is not by any means a wasted exercise...
Just make certain the earth cable is as per the requirements for PME.

So since the property was built there has never been any kind of earth facility? No disrespect intended but I find that hard to believe plus surely whoever installed the shower should have spotted it?
I'd bet this job turns into a nightmare for you

but if there is no earthing conductor and no earth going to the main distributers facility there cant be an earth, all there is is the c.p.c's. and yes i agree the last spark should've spotted it

Reply to your opinions please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net