Currently reading:
3-phase sub-main sizing

Discuss 3-phase sub-main sizing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

suffolkspark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi chaps, I've got a 3-phase supply to get in and am not overly experienced in 3-phase cable calcs, basically the run is 60m, it will be buried, and it needs to run one 3 phase 16A boiler, a couple of single phase socket outlets and a couple of lights.

hope somebody can shed some light

just calculate the current per phase, then select the cable size accordingly, not forgetting volt drop.

earthing arrangements and adequacy I know, I have done this and its all good, the submain is coming from a Merlin dis board right at the incomer, sorry i should have said,

i have calculated that 6mm 4 core should be plenty for the job, and thats okay on the volt drop side of things even on a much longer run, seem good to everybody?

Without working it out myself 6mm sounds a little undersized can you show your calcs pls... im surprised at that length on a 32amp supply meets VD... and as others have pointed out you need to decide if you are just extending your earthing system or whether your set-up requires additional earthing from the supply or alternatively the use of earth isolation and TT -set up been done.

Do you have structural conductive parts, do you have other services in the boiler house brought in conductive pipework?

I feel you have just plucked 6mm out of thin air here and waited for someone to comment - we need all the info for us to comment and we need to see your calcs if you want guidance to the correct cable.

Why is it when you ask for an OP to show calcs as their posted alledged calculated answers dont seem right we end up talking to ourselves ... we are trying to help but if they refuse to help themselves by posting their calcs then we wont bother helping them seek the answers they are after.

Why is it when you ask for an OP to show calcs as their posted alledged calculated answers dont seem right we end up talking to ourselves ... we are trying to help but if they refuse to help themselves by posting their calcs then we wont bother helping them seek the answers they are after.

Could be one of a few answers

1- Electrical Trainee who doesnt know nothing about 3 phase
2- DIYer
3- Incompetent
4- Totally incompetent
5- Just can't be ar$ed ad wants someone else to do it

Hi all sorry for late reply getting back on here. I perhaps started this thread off on the wrong foot.... I can confirm I'm not a Electrical Trainee, I have completed level 2+3 c&g technical certificates, NVQ level 3, 17th edition update, part p registered, hold JIB card, and have 10 years experience in the trade. I would say I'm a highly competent domestic spark, But I am a little in-experienced in installing 3 phase sub-mains, I must say the trouble with domestic is the calculating side of things is very rarely needed so I have become rusty in this field.

As the design current isn't known here (only that I have been asked to give a 3-phase 16A supply for the boiler, and allow for basic power and lighting for servicing), I have planned to take 32A 3 phase sub-main to a new distribution board in the boiler house, so I take the rating of the protective device as my design current, so my calc is 32x400x1.732/1000 = 22.1696KW

putting this into the tlc cable calculator along with other appropriate details:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

I get 10.00mm SWA XPLE with a volt drop of 3.3% (13.3v) on my 60m run, the cable itself is capable of 55.42A

What happened to your 6mm you calculated with plenty of spare room :goofy:

Im off to pub now and will check later for you but i assume ill be beaten to the post by others tonight...

Reply to 3-phase sub-main sizing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock