Search the forum,

Discuss Adapting a cooker point in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
A house we have just re-wired has one of these cooker points,

mk_6044_6043_cooker_socket_T.jpg

mk_6044_6043_cooker_socket_backplate_T.jpg

Trouble is the kitchen wasn't supposed to have been touched by any trade but the wiring was that bad we've had no choice but to renew it all however the cooker switch is in the tiling as opposed to over it so it will leave a hole in the tiles when we replace it.

Can anyone recommend any sort of adapter plate for it as its a big bigger than a standard two gang box, the joiner wont make a pattress for it as he says its too close to the cooker, even though the cooker switch is made of plastic just like plastic consumer units which are the devils work apparently, and the hob is electric anyway but hey ho.

Just to add its a council job so its no designer special by any means.

A house we have just re-wired has one of these cooker points,

mk_6044_6043_cooker_socket_T.jpg

mk_6044_6043_cooker_socket_backplate_T.jpg

Trouble is the kitchen wasn't supposed to have been touched by any trade but the wiring was that bad we've had no choice but to renew it all however the cooker switch is in the tiling as opposed to over it so it will leave a hole in the tiles when we replace it.

Can anyone recommend any sort of adapter plate for it as its a big bigger than a standard two gang box, the joiner wont make a pattress for it as he says its too close to the cooker, even though the cooker switch is made of plastic just like plastic consumer units which are the devils work apparently, and the hob is electric anyway but hey ho.

Just to add its a council job so its no designer special by any means.

If it's that close to the cooker that there's a chance it could get hot, then it needs moving.

Chase out and fit a huge MK K5011 or K5012 cooker switch plate. There are also a surface versions if the customer fancies something akin to an additional cupboard.

Chase out and fit a huge MK K5011 or K5012 cooker switch plate. There are also a surface versions if the customer fancies something akin to an additional cupboard.
I can't believe they still make them, found a second hand one on ebay for £10 but they are very ugly. I'll bet the boxes are quite deep as well, with the added complication of not breaking the tiles round them.

The current crabtree cooker plate is bigger than the (normal size) MK offering, and might be nearly tall enough to cover the hole?
Is it too much hassle to excavate the wall!?

Last edited:

Reply to Adapting a cooker point in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net