Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Wiring replacement flood light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gizmoo

DIY
Reaction score
I'm replacing a flood light with a new one.
When I took off the back of the new light for wiring I noticed that the fourth terminal to the right has a red wire at the top and a white one beneath it. See photo
That has confused me a little as the old lamp had the black wire going into the terminals where the two white wires are connected.

What I would like to know is where does the extra spare black from my supply go, its the one shown in the photo which is not yet connected ?

The first and second photos shows the previous arrangement where the black wire goes into the block shared by the two white wires.

The set up is that two flood lights come on together regardless of which sensor picks up first. They can both also be switched on and off from the inside via a switch as well.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_134629.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210331_135126.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210331_144044.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 36
That separate black cable appears to be the switched line linking across to the other light. However, it doesn't seem to be the correct type of cable, it looks like conduit cable or one core stripped from twin & earth, which is not safe to run unprotected especially outdoors because it has no sheath. Please can you clarify how it is run before we advise?

I'm replacing a flood light with a new one.
When I took off the back of the new light for wiring I noticed that the fourth terminal to the right has a red wire at the top and a white one beneath it. See photo
That has confused me a little as the old lamp had the black wire going into the terminals where the two white wires are connected.

What I would like to know is where does the extra spare black from my supply go, its the one shown in the photo which is not yet connected ?

The first and second photos shows the previous arrangement where the black wire goes into the block shared by the two white wires.

The set up is that two flood lights come on together regardless of which sensor picks up first. They can both also be switched on and off from the inside via a switch as well.

Thanks
Hi, not sure what you mean how it's run, but was installed 20 years ago as part of an extention. You are correct that it is stripped additional wire.
The set up is that the the original light b4 the extension on one side of the house has remained unaltered but when the extention was built I asked that the new light (the current one in discussion) would also come on at the same time and vice versa, and both can be controlled from inside with a switch.

I would have thought to replicate the original wiring set up from the old light in the photos I would have to basically take the pinkish coloured cable out of the block and connect it to the white cable underneath it on the terminal (so white and pinkish cables are shared in the block) and simply replace with the black wire in question where the pink cable once was.

All I'm trying to do from a wiring point is replicate the wiring configuration of the old light, which is showing the black floating wire to be connected to the two white cables

Would that work?

Well, yes, it would be the same as before. But I can't really say go ahead when the cable does not appear to comply with the regulations and should not have been installed like that in the first place. The fact that it has worked for years is neither here nor there.

Well, yes, it would be the same as before. But I can't really say go ahead when the cable does not appear to comply with the regulations and should not have been installed like that in the first place. The fact that it has worked for years is neither here nor there.
Hi thanks for your reply, but what is practicable, I cannot rip up everything to rewire. I can protect the wire by sleeving and it and protect it from the elements but what I can't do is demolish thd house I order to bring the correct colours on board. Next year the colors will change again and so on.

So to answer my question I just need some advice if what I'm Proposing will work, thanks

It's not the colour. Cable cores stripped of their sheath are not permitted to be used in this manner, they are not robust enough.

If the wiring in question was done by the same 'electrician' that wired your extension, then I strongly recommend you get a full EICR done by a competent electrician. If the extension was built 20 years ago, then it's due for its second inspection.

Hi thanks for your reply, but what is practicable, I cannot rip up everything to rewire. I can protect the wire by sleeving and it and protect it from the elements but what I can't do is demolish thd house I order to bring the correct colours on board. Next year the colors will change again and so on.

So to answer my question I just need some advice if what I'm Proposing will work, thanks

Very cavalier attitude to safety. It may well work, but think of the poor bloke who finds this delight in the future.

They also said diesel cars were the best thing since sliced bread, but don't see many trades men driving around in electric vehicles.

With respect the question was regarding the wiring not the merits of other people's work. If the question was regarding workmanship and practices I would whole heartedly agree.

I've used reputable firms that swore blind that running wires along side central heating pipes was acceptable, do please I get it. Now back to the original question can as nyone answer that.

Not sure your analogy of diesel/electric vehicles and a singularly insulated conductor works for me!

It was answered in previous replies!
The point being that everything at first seems acceptable but for some reason someone comes along and changes or places demands in the name of safety.

Most new codes are written by individuals who sit behind a desk and create profits for companies, a bit like the medical sector, tablet for everything but no one can tell you how to solve the issues, a bit like my question, 15 odd posts later

The apparent wiring of your lights has not become 'unacceptable' as the result of any regulation change since it was installed.
If it is as it seems, it was dangerous when it was installed, and is still dangerous now, and if the same person was responsible for the wiring in the extension, then that is suspect until it has been checked.
If we, as professionals, give advice on how to connect up dangerous wiring, then we are assuming liability for that wiring. In the event of a fire or a death, you would point at this thread on this forum, and say "they told me how to do it".

However after all this self indulgence no one has been able yo answer the basic wiring question regarding which way the wires go. No wonder Wembley took so long to build

However after all this self indulgence no one has been able yo answer the basic wiring question regarding which way the wires go. No wonder Wembley took so long to build

And nobody will. It's not self indulgence, it's a case of not wanting to risk a dangerous situation remaining in place.

I'm sure some would like to make a suggestion as to where to shove your wires. How many times do you need telling, advice will not be forthcoming from any professional electrician because your setup is DANGEROUS.
That's speaks volumes of your work ethic, talk a good story but in the end its the same bodge. Your comments are a clise second to the gas safe ferternity.

How many halogen lamps gave you fitted or have you refused to install them as well because your good practice doesn't allow you to, or are you waiting for the real doom and gloom from the led sector telling us we'll grow three heads if they stay on long enough. Get real and get back to answering the real question if you can,

That's speaks volumes of your work ethic, talk a good story but in the end its the same bodge. Your comments are a clise second to the gas safe ferternity.

How many halogen lamps gave you fitted or have you refused to install them as well because your good practice doesn't allow you to, or are you waiting for the real doom and gloom from the led sector telling us we'll grow three heads if they stay on long enough. Get real and get back to answering the real question if you can,

Diesel cars, halogen lamps. Good god man, what are you talking about?

If you aren't happy with the advice then feel free to try elsewhere. Free country.

I see you're also not a fan of gas engineers as well as electricians. Is there anybody you do have respect for?

Diesel cars, halogen lamps. Good god man, what are you talking about?

If you aren't happy with the advice then feel free to try elsewhere. Free country.

I see you're also not a fan of gas engineers as well as electricians. Is there anybody you do have respect for?
Very busy electrician

I have no idea who he/she/it is however the person seems very rude, ignorant and with a very poor command of the English language, particularly spelling. Possibly been drinking too ?

I have no idea who he/she/it is however the person seems very rude, ignorant and with a very poor command of the English language, particularly spelling. Possibly been drinking too ?
No need to excite yourselves, I asked a simple question with very poor results.

If someone can answer fair enough if not please don't give me a lecture about the rights and wrongs. I did not ask for that part of the works

No need to excite yourselves, I asked a simple question with very poor results.

If someone can answer fair enough if not please don't give me a lecture about the rights and wrongs. I did not ask for that part of the works

Blimey you don't give up do you. Oh well, nowt on telly.

I asked a simple question with very poor results.

You ride in on a sleigh with a bold [sic] tyre asking for directions to Lapland. By post #2 I've drawn attention to the tyre problem and by post #4 I've answered the question without endorsing sledding on the bold [sic] tyre. Poor eh?

BTW regards to Rudolf, tell him I want the Voltstick back.

Reply to Wiring replacement flood light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net