10mm T&E for Consumer unit supply | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 10mm T&E for Consumer unit supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sav

Morning everyone,

Hope your all well.

Just a a quick question. We have been asked to quote for a HMO conversion, in a domestic property. So basically, the developer buys these houses and makes rooms out if them.
Leach room is basic, small ensuite shower ( not electric ), lights and a few sockets. There is a communal kitchen and each room is supplied by its own consumer unit.
There are 2 circuits, lights and sockets.
What I'm asking is, the consumer units are fed via 10mm T&E that go down to 60A isolators, which in turn go into a big Henley block.
There are about 5 rooms, so five isolators.
I would have thought that the consumer units for each room , from the isolators had have 16mm earth ?
Obviously things like communal smokes and fire alarm system etc are fed from landlord board.
The supply is a TN-S single phase

regards,
sav

Re: 10mm T&E for Consumer unit supply

No, I didn't make myself very clear I admit. I was initially suggesting only one RCD in a CU that would then feed each individual CU, but I now realise after giving it more than 10 secs thought that this would be crap. However, could you not use the method i suggested in my reply to D Skelton? I was not advocating having a buried T&E with no RCD protection!
Well thanks for the offer of your method, Im sure its a very good method, but its not my job or thread.

That only applies to fuses. What you don't want to have is a situation where a circuit tripping a downstream device causes the upstream fuse to have to 'prepare to trip' to use a phrase. Pre arcing is a state where the fuse is subjected to the fault current but has not yet tripped. The more this happens the more damaged the fuse becomes.

Say for example you have a DB where the highest rated MCB is 50A and you plan to supply this via a sub main. If for example you choose a 63A fuse and it has a prearcing current of 45A (it won't have, this is purely an example) then this is bad design. You would need to uprate the supply fuse or, if possible, downgrade the downstream device.

A very simplistic explanation I know.

I think I shall do some reading up, if I ever get some time and can stay off the booze. Do you know of any good reading material in relation to this? No worry's if not, its just I tend to get a bit side tracked when researching something on the web. (Im mean Im lazy)

D Skelton, iv'e just noticed your signature, it's fantastic. I know this is going off topic but i saw a program revisiting the miners strike the other night. I had forgotten they even took benefit off their families. Lower than vermin indeed......

Reply to 10mm T&E for Consumer unit supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

I've seen a few posts here which tend to suggest that wiring in a motorhome (or caravan) wouldn't be subject to normal inspection rules, but even...
Replies
Views
  • Question
What is the distance from the point outside the house to the shed?
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back