150m submain to multiple outbuildings earthing (PME) | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 150m submain to multiple outbuildings earthing (PME) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Woodbeare1

Hi there can I describe an installation and I would love to hear some opinions as to weather the earthing is up to standard. Its quite a long run so I'm concerned about the difference between true earth and system earth!

Submain comes direct from meter cupboard in farmhouse through 100a main switch and 63a mcb

Sub main is 25mm2 swa 3 core using the 3rd core as cpc (also bonded to swa outer protection) it runs as follows

25m to adaptable box two CUs for cottage and workshop

Another 25m now goes on from the box to a 2nd shed with a AB and garage unit

From here it goes another 45m but reduces to 16mm2 swa 3 core to a barn with another AB and Garage unit

Here it reduces again to 10mm2 swa 3 core and goes through a 63a rotary isolator before running another 50m to the last shed.

I'm now about 150m from the meter cupboard and although the earth is sizeable I'm along way from the PME supply, should I be putting in earthing rods on a pme system??

Any help and constructive abuse greatly welcomed!!

Hmmm, quite bizarre. I was about to start a thread (hypothetical one!) on a similar tangent, but I'll let this one run in case the answer to my question comes up, and I save myself any unpleasant embarrassment. :)

To start the ball rolling for the OP, I would suggest the resistance of your protective bonding cable to any extraneous pipework might be high at the furthest point, or am I getting that completely wrong?

What type is the 63A mcb, what is the earthing system, what is the Ze, what size is the earthing conductor at the origin (to size bonding).
Is this a new years wind up.

is the farmhouse off the same supply? I think that further to exact calcs you will exceed max Zs that's only one aspect what is the aprox average load at each building as for volt drop.From what you have posted this distance is not in a staight line but each building has been added in turn.A better set up would of been out to each building from D.B. at farmhouse what would the longest run of been then ?.

Hi all sorry about the patchy details the 63a mcb is a B type and the cpc is 10mm2 and yes the farmhouse is on the same supply but the sub main comes off between the meter and the farmhouse CU

I'm assuming farmhouse is TNS or TNCS to its MET and DB1 is attached to that. And you are concerned about just how far away you can rely on the DNO earth (?).
One problem with the described daisy chaining of supplies between buildings has already been mentioned by AB in #6 - the cumulative voltage drop.
That led me to think about daisy chaining the bonding. I think the cable sizes described in reg 544 apply to each building and they are intended to link back to the installation MET (in farmhouse) individually from each building. Not daisy chained.
If that is correct, buildings after the farmhouse + 1 may need to be converted to TT (?). That may also address the increasing difference between the exported earth potential and the local. Just a thought :)

I assume main bonding is required in the cottage and the separate core of the 25mm cable, without other information should be adequate. Is bonding required in the other buildings.

I'm assuming farmhouse is TNS or TNCS to its MET and DB1 is attached to that. And you are concerned about just how far away you can rely on the DNO earth (?).

spot on Wilko am beginning to think converting everything after the workshop to TT might be the way to go!

I think that if you are happy with the loads not rising to give a volt drop issue and you do a TT after the point of the workshop the only problem to overcome would be the max Zs for the linked supply cable by what you have posted the existing buildings are daisy chained and there is not a practical way of supply other than the A.box at garage. what is your Zdb there ?

Reply to 150m submain to multiple outbuildings earthing (PME) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net