1969 E Type Jaguar with charging problems. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 1969 E Type Jaguar with charging problems. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I thought I could rule out the earth straps as I have jumpered the alternator body to battery negative. But I will look at those next.

Have you checked for drain , if the car is standing the battery may be playing catch up all the time , especially if it is not a first time starter.
Not all circuits may be fused, drawing the fuses may not isolate a current draw.

Have you checked for drain , if the car is standing the battery may be playing catch up all the time , especially if it is not a first time starter.
Not all circuits may be fused, drawing the fuses may not isolate a current draw.
just to add the radio might have a feed direct from battery and local fusing

Hi dude,What load are the headlights pulling,and where are you measuring the reduced voltage?

If the change in alternator did not work,maybe there is a drive issue...it would be the first Jag i ever seen,without an oil leak...:smile5:

If you have a worn/incorrect belt,loose pulley on either alternator or crank,you would get the symptoms you describe.

A change of alternator with no alternator fault,would point to another defect.

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the replies. Last night I bench charged the battery to full indication. Then in the car the alternator voltage measured across the battery rose to 14.5 but rise was slow I that means anything? Voltage drops to 13.2 when the radiator fan kicks in. drops further to 12.7 when headlights are on. The head lights are 60/50 Watts when originals are 50/45 Watts. Also the rad fan is not original. I have tried another battery from my 2005 Mini with same results. Could it still be the Battery or are the Rad Fan and lights ratings too much?
Regards, Greg

It could be that the battery does not have enough reserve capacity , especially if it is not getting enough running to keep it fully charged.
A mini battery would be undersized for an E type. Something around 80 - 90 amp hour might be more appropriate.
As has been suggested by me and others calculate your total load and clamp test the starting current . This will give you an idea of the alternator output and battery reserve you are looking for.
If it has air conditioning added ,along with cooling fan you will have a heads start to draining the battery, and as I said earlier if it is a bad starter it will hammer your reserve.
Also as Peg said make sure the running gear is good, if it is slipping you have no chance.

Ps , just had a quick google 61 to 79 e type is 70 amp hour.That will be for standard equipment.

Last edited:
Ps , just had a quick google 61 to 79 e type is 70 amp hour.That will be for standard equipment.[/QUOTE]

Tried new 70 Amp Hour battery and no difference.

Ps , just had a quick google 61 to 79 e type is 70 amp hour.That will be for standard equipment.

Tried new 70 Amp Hour battery and no difference.[/QUOTE]
have you checked the pully/linkage to power the alternator?

is the alternator outputting the right amount of amps?.

is anything on the car non original, anything electrical it doesn't matter what it is.

Reply to 1969 E Type Jaguar with charging problems. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net