2 way switches not working | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 2 way switches not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Loky11

-
Reaction score
Now guys,

Need some help please, i have a 2 way switch that not working correctly, got a 2 gang 2 way switch on landing of 1st floor, on second floor there's a 1 gang 2 way switch, now the problem is that if the light is turned on from 1st floor it can not be turned off from 2nd floor and vice versa, it will only turn off from the switch that turned it on. Is it possible that the wires in the switches arnt wires in the correct terminals ? All advise appreciated. Cheers.

It must have made some difference; with three wires connected to a 2-way switch, no matter what is at the other end, one of the three permutations will stop the switch turning the light on.

Anyway, I've stated what my 'quick and dirty' method would be in post #29. With Westward10's approval you might like to study it to see how I am breaking the circuit into identifiable chunks.

It must have made some difference; with three wires connected to a 2-way switch, no matter what is at the other end, one of the three permutations will stop the switch turning the light on.

Anyway, I've stated what my 'quick and dirty' method would be in post #29. With Westward10's approval you might like to study it to see how I am breaking the circuit into identifiable chunks.

I took yellow out of l1 and light still turned on and off but only with the 1 switch, i will have a look for junction boxes/ trace wires.

They look correct to me in the second pic (i.e. each switch has 3 cores of the same cable) and danger could arise if they are on different circuits. I'd be cautious about that.

But rather than randomness, why not use my systematic method that is 100% guaranteed to correctly identify the wires if there are no obscure hidden faults? I'm not keen on recommending inexperienced people to try swapping wires around on things, but IF one is going to try, then each test should be done with a particular aim, and it should be known in advance what the possible outcomes are and what circuit configuration each of these reveals. That's the art and science of troubleshooting.

Last edited:
The blue and yellow can be either way round as they are in L1 & L2.
First swop the red and yellow.
Then check. If not fixed put them back as they were.
Then swop blue and yellow.

One of those combinations should work, if it’s just wires in the wrong place.

If it doesn’t fix it, you are going to need:
to find the junction box and
a lot of time,
and a test meter,
and some knowledge.

Or an electrician.

Then swop blue and yellow
I think you mean blue and red. Exchanging L1 and L2 won't fix the problem.

Also, unless the installer was being stupid, the common in both switches should be the same colour so if that is true now, you should swap them in BOTH switches at once.

I think Taylor agrees that the most likely scenario is that COM should be Y.

Reply to 2 way switches not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net