20 Radial Sockets with only 1 T&E cable going to all 20 | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 20 Radial Sockets with only 1 T&E cable going to all 20 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spazz

Doing a EICR on a house.

Situation

Radial on a 20A MCB
20 Sockets on Radial
Each socket on that radial has only 1 x 2.5mm T&E going to each socket

Am I right to think that the person who did the work (the landlord) has spared off a JB in above the roof to each socket

From looking at the rest of the house, there are several C1s, C2s, and loads of C3s (4 pages in total) - including no bonding and only a 2mm cable from main earth (TN-S) to CU

Also am I right in thinking this is a C3 as it is not dangerous even if a fault occurs???

Replace all fittings with class ones, label on CU stating no CPC etc. As for the screws replace the metal ones with nylons.

C'mon now strima,your losing your counting skills
:yes:

Nicholas,i am going to plat Devils advocate

Why do you mention the quantity of sockets on the radial ?,there may be other factors,but there is no set limit on the amount installed
If you are correct that the sockets have all been "jbeeed" and you have not located the joints,how can you be sure they are not maintenance free

The radial circuit would not be like the ones shown in the appendix,however there are other ways of constructing a compliant circuit

It seems you have found a dogs breakfast,but you have not yet found the proof

Up comes the floorboards in the morning I think!

Looks like the landlord is gonna take the easy option and kick u out for all the money he's gonna lose in rent through you finding all these problems that gonna cost ££££.....they're all the same, they never wanna spend a penny if they can help it

A radial wired in 2.5 and protected by a 20A MCB is acceptable, as long as the cable installation method does not de-rate the cable below 20A.
There is no minimum or maximum number of sockets allowed.
It's unlikely that the earth conductor is 2mm² more likely 2.5mm², which is the minimum CSA allowed if mechanically protected and PME conditions do not apply.
I take it you haven't any limitations?

I have just moved in so they stuck with a 6month tenancy - also they asked me to conduct the EICR so they dont have a leg to stand on when it comes to this.

Also all the agents talk around here - if the landlord throws me out then every agent will know within days how bad the electrics are and none of them will touch them. dont think they will go alone with a tenant again as the last tenant they had pulled all walls down, doors off hinges, rubbish everywhere, one hell of a state - hence what led to the work that the landlord did - the house was empty for 18 months before I started renting it

Re: 20 Radial Sockets with only 1 T&E cable going to all 20

Not sure if you got this right - why replace all fittings with class one?? - thats metal - class 2 is plastic

Its a house Im renting (I have kids) so I want it correct and not going to take no for an answer - Im just thinking of the 4 months rent free that I will get
Well done for spotting my typo, it's been a long day with my QS... :lol:

Replace all fittings with class ones, label on CU stating no CPC etc. As for the screws replace the metal ones with nylons.

C'mon now strima,your losing your counting skills
:yes:
I KNOW!!! Leave me alone... :)

A radial wired in 2.5 and protected by a 20A MCB is acceptable, as long as the cable installation method does not de-rate the cable below 20A.
There is no minimum or maximum number of sockets allowed.
It's unlikely that the earth conductor is 2mm² more likely 2.5mm², which is the minimum CSA allowed if mechanically protected and PME conditions do not apply.
I take it you haven't any limitations?

the CPC is 1.5mm (standard 2.5T&E cable)

the cable is PVC cable installed in trunking

No LIMs agreed - but all installed in last 18months so all should be under the 17th regs either way - again nothing signed off

Agent told me to do it to current regs anyway

One thing which is nice - all test results are well within range - IRs all over 800MOhms
R1+R2 all low (which I expect as all sockets are a maximum of only 7meters from the CU)
RCD trip times under 10ms (1x and 5x)

the CPC is 1.5mm (standard 2.5T&E cable)

the cable is PVC cable installed in trunking

No LIMs agreed - but all installed in last 18months so all should be under the 17th regs either way - again nothing signed off

One thing which is nice - all test results are well within range - IRs all over 800MOhms
R1+R2 all low (which I expect as all sockets are a maximum of only 7meters from the CU)
RCD trip times under 10ms (1x and 5x)

The radial sounds fine.
You haven't mentioned what the earthing system is?

Doing a EICR on a house.

Situation

Radial on a 20A MCB
20 Sockets on Radial
Each socket on that radial has only 1 x 2.5mm T&E going to each socket

Am I right to think that the person who did the work (the landlord) has spared off a JB in above the roof to each socket

From looking at the rest of the house, there are several C1s, C2s, and loads of C3s (4 pages in total) - including no bonding and only a 2mm cable from main earth (TN-S) to CU

Also am I right in thinking this is a C3 as it is not dangerous even if a fault occurs???

OP - 7th Line down - TN-S!

Agent seems to know that Bs7671 requires that the eicr is compared to current regs, but I don't believe for a moment that you needed the agent to tell you that is so nicholas
:D

Reply to 20 Radial Sockets with only 1 T&E cable going to all 20 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net