220v Amps vs 110v Amps | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 220v Amps vs 110v Amps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

comet424

hi I been trying to read online but I cant find what I want

what I wanna know is

I asked a few electricans but each one gives me different answers

what I wanna know is at 30AMp 220v is that 15amps one line and 15amps on the 2nd line right?

as then someone else told me 30amps at 220v is really 60 amps at 110v

whats right?

im guessing the 15amps per line

well most places around here is single Phase 220v. so take Example my Generator it puts out 7000 watts running 30amps at 220volts. that means on L1 and L2 its only 15 amps right? so when making 110 outlets you wire to each line then you can only draw 15 amps off each line and that means 30 amps at 220 right

- - - Updated - - -

and no 3 phase just single phase isn't 3 phase 320volt or something

- - - Updated - - -

or 550

Also majorly depends on the amperage / current draw of the DJing kit and the AWG of the cable you use, too small an AWG cable for the load and it will get seriously hot, possibly set something or itself on fire, suffer massive resistance and volt drop issues, especially due to the length, you have in mind.
Also make sure the cable is grounded (don't do what one of my in laws does and rip out the grounding pins from the plug...the excuse "everywhere is 2 pin")
What sort of 220V outlet are you considering using? I might have half a clue on how to give you some more help if I know what outlet you have in mind...
(as far as I remember commando type plugs are....rare to put it mildly...in North America)

this getting confusing , and I have asked some electricians 1 says 220v 30amp is 110v 60 amps and another electrican says 220v 30 amp is still 110v 30 amps. now I know how to wire I wired my up place etc. I just wanting to know as if I use 10 gauge wire I can draw 30 amps at 220. so that means what I guessing is its only 15amps on each line. and id be using the twist and lock outlet probably to the standard house hold 15 amp outlets split L1 and L2 or with with 10 gauge wire can I draw 30 amps on each line? no one can tell me so that's why I asking. and I know its 3 wire and ground which doesn't make sense as its same as 4 wire both have 4 wires in the cable

As far as I know its per phase, i.e. 30 amps per phase, so if you connected each phase separately to neutral you could have (in theory anyway) 3 blocks of 2 x NEMA 5-15 outlets.
For DJing I'd be considering something like a small local breaker box so you blow the local breakers before the breaker that backs up the supply socket, I'd also make sure the supply is RCD protected in case the cable gets damaged / severed.
However without knowing the load (in amps or watts) you have in mind and without a copy of the canadian wiring regulations in front of me I can't tell you how safe or legal it is. Just because something works, doesn't mean its safe....

Other issue is we use CSA (cross sectional area ) to size cables here instead of American Wire Guage (AWG) as used in the USA and Canada, and off the top of my head I can't remember the Current carrying capacity of #10 AWG ......been.....8 years since I dealt with North American electrics.....

well I going as my generator is a 4 pole 220 30 amp, Id wire a 100 foot 10 gauge 4 wire in a twist lock say into the generator at the other end id have a breaker box that hat id feed the lines in so one side is L1 and other side is L2 and from that into the recepticals but what I asking is at 30amp 220 can I draw 15 amps off L1 or 30amps L1 so that means I could only have 1 outlet at 15amps off L1 or if its 30amps on L1 then I can have 2 15 amp outlets running off L1 and then same for L2

On a trip to Toronto back in 1980 I had a look at the db my wifes uncle was connecting in his basement lounge.

The set up as I remember was dual voltage.
Incoming as 2 phase and neutral, assuming that the next house up the street and the next house down the street will balance the 2 phase loads.
The db had a left row of breakers on one phase and a right row of breakers on another phase.
The electric cooker was connected to two phases (2 breakers) only and received 220v, no neutral.
Ditto the wash boiler.
The lighting was connected to one phase and the neutral, as was the house sockets.
220v apparently therefore being used on the larger loads for the purpose of reducing cable sizes?

Simplify things:Make and model of the
generator?

I think one of your sparks has taken the wrong end of the stick - An appliance which draws 30 amps at 220v will draw 60 amps at 110v. What your doing is different though.

Any trade colleges near you? Might be worth popping in and asking the tutors there, especially if you say you've asked 2 or 3 electricians and gotten 3 different answers....

Reply to 220v Amps vs 110v Amps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net