3 phase loading question | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 phase loading question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all
I am working for a company and we are installing supplies to some industrial 3 phase heaters in a factory in Devon.
I am questioning the maths used by my boss to arrive at the SWA size to supply these heaters.

Seeing as I am not a wiz with 3 phase stuff (only just started working for this firm), can someone give me some pointers on calculating the load?
I know the basics, but would like to make sure I am right before rocking the boat!

We are supplying 4x 15000kw heaters - 3 phase.
What load is that going to be per phase, per heater? He has basically divided the 15000kw into 3 - therefore 5kw per phase, then divided it by 230v.
Arriving at 21.7A per phase.

That means with 4x 3 phase heaters on the distribution board, we are looking at around 88A per phase load.
That's a huge 348A load.

He has 'guessed' at a 35mm 4 core SWA for the 50M run. Not convinced any calcs have gone into that decision.

Thanks!

Or get yerself one of these. Ex power station control room mid 1960s., changed one duff valve and a leaky capacitor and up it came within 0.01 Hz of my bench FG. Trouble is, if you want to wake up in the morning knowing whether your clock is running at the right speed, you've got to be able to sleep through the funny little noises it makes - the pointer is driven by a servomotor so it whirrs and hums all the time as the frequency changes. You also need a strong wall to put it on! Note the red marks on the dial - load shed is at 48.50Hz and island mode on the 132kV at 47.6.

Flicking back through the thread, the reference to the current being wrong 'because the OP hadn't built in a factor of sqrt(3)' - he had, you just didn't see him do it. He used the line current but the L-N voltage, which includes the division by sqrt(3). Saves space on the envelope.

[ElectriciansForums.net] 3 phase loading question[ElectriciansForums.net] 3 phase loading question[ElectriciansForums.net] 3 phase loading question[ElectriciansForums.net] 3 phase loading question[ElectriciansForums.net] 3 phase loading question

Reply to 3 phase loading question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

Hello All, This is Vaithees from India. We are using an IR heater for a vacuum & non-vacuum chamber and got a heater from Chinese company and its...
Replies
Views
Just stick the 63amp fused connector before the Henley block , or Lucy block as you call it, and your all good, as for your 2nd point, , the...
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back