3 pole contactor trouble. 230 v coil, 50hz. ADVICE PLEASE | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 pole contactor trouble. 230 v coil, 50hz. ADVICE PLEASE in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys,

I would just like to raise the point that i am fully aware of my limitations concerning three phase stuff and hence the reason i have actually left it to be done by someone who knows how. i am simply here asking the questions now to learn and better my understanding of what to do and how to do it for future reference. i certainly have no intentions of turning myself into a 6ft2 strip of beef jerky so figured i would stay out of it.

Many of my posts may appear to many as "this guy should be back at college" but i find it easier to learn talking to you guys on here then i do nose down in a, lets be honest, pretty dry read...although i do of course read the books as its fairly essential. Nevertheless, i hugely appreciate the input and that last post Silva was of a great help to me so a big thanks mate. I send you a cyber pint to enjoy at your will!

Cheers B

No ive been stuck at my desk this morning sorting some other bits out but after my lunch i will have a go! I shall be sure to keep you updated on my progress. I guess your very curious to see how this all pans out now and if your instruction was effective! you do realise that if all goes well you have just involuntarily put yourself forward as my go to man...expect a full inbox :p

B

I forgot to explain the "cut-out", the motor is powering a barrel mixer, with a lift up lid. as the lid is opened , it releases a pressure switch, which turns of the motor and opens the circuit. and when it is closed, pushes the switch back in, whereby the motor can be started up again but pressing the start button. its a safety device that was installed to stop the lads putting their arms in the barrel with the blades still turning.

right, prepare for a diagram... apologies in advance...this will no doubt look as if my son has done it...however. it may help

[ElectriciansForums.net] 3 pole contactor trouble. 230 v coil, 50hz. ADVICE PLEASE
I cant seem to make this monstrosity any larger. i suppose im not that sorry as im probably saving my self from great embarrassment. if you could reply with an image similar to this one...if you can bring yourself to do it, with a kind of connect the dotts feel to it. that would be amazing.

I am truly sorry for this pathetic effort

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] 3 pole contactor trouble. 230 v coil, 50hz. ADVICE PLEASE
    mixer diagram for forum.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry silva i forgot to draw tha overload in. where you crossed out plug and put socket, is that a recommendation? the start is N/C and stop is N/O.

Thank you so much for your help mate

:eek:

No, no, no - the start should be a n/o and stop should be a n/c!

OMG!!! :mad:

Now... the contactor, with 415v of potential, is never to have male recepticals where you can touch the pins, hence sockets. You PLUG into sockets for power! Come on, man...

It's not a recommendation but a life-saving neccessity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think that you need to revisit your course notes mate. DOL starters aint an everyday thing for most sparks, but you should be able to follow a wiring diagram. As for plugs and sockets mate, thats plain dangerous. id refuse to work with anybody who wired them the wrong way round.

Im trying to be constructive.

Is there any chance you could sub the job to a more experienced sparks, and watch and learn?

Guys im simply relaying on to you what it is im looking at!!! I have done none of this myself. Everything went wrong and i have been asked to make it work...simple as. But as of yet, have hardly touched anything hence why i am consulting you on here. I profess to know only one thing and that is i know nothing. Just asking for some advice.

Alright wade. sounds like you have a direct on line start motor. incoming power to L1 L2 L3, cable to motor from T1 T2 T3. Terminal marked 13 and 14 are the hold on contacts which are wired in parallel to the start button. This should be fed from a seperate control MCB, not the supply MCB for the motor. Dont worry bout the cut out as this just mirrors the terminals on the bottom of the contactor. If the contactor is 230V you will need a neutral link for the coil. Hope it helps, if not you could always try google :]

Just to let you know Silva, followed instructions, system is now working fine, i ordered two new n/o contact block starts anyway last week as spares from RS and have fitted those, replaced plug/sockets, wired system fine. All is working as it should and the safety cut out is operating. Sorry if this thread has angered some, but i appreciate the help all the same.

Many Thanks,

B

it hasnt angered anybody mate, and im sorry if i came across as harsh, but from what i read it seemed like you were in over your head. dont get me wrong im not an electrical genius either, but i thought you had wired plugs and sockets the wrong way around.
hope youve learnt from this, the next one will be a lot easier.

John

Sorry if I sound callous about this but you’ve been given advise, drawings and Silva gave you a brilliant step-by-step guide and you still don’t seem to grasp the basics of a DOL starter.
Get someone in before you kill yourself or some innocent operative!

John boy i hadnt wired anything, everything was as i found it. Not harsh at all, i understand fully the concerns, as Tony here is expressing. Im learning Tony, thats why i continue to ask and ask to make sure and reinforce what i am reading. I already said in a previous post i will not and have not attempted to wire or install anything i am not comfrotable with (this obviously being one of them). Industrial electrics are new to me so im trying to absorb what i can from helpful people on the forum.

I have re-wired the system and will have it checked by the electrician who does the PIR's for our buildings.

Thanks to those who helped me out

Finally! Well done Wade88

Don't be disheartened by the comments, everybody means well and expect a safe attitude around electrics.

You kept with it, you updated the thread and your ego allowed you to ask for help.

Keep learning!

Nice to hear you’ve got it up and running.

Just one point* are the commando plug / socket for the control non-standard for your works. The reason I ask is as sure as eggs are eggs some clown will plug something else in to it if they can.

* It’s one I got pushed in to because management wouldn’t pay for a different type of socket, I wanted to use Niphan on the control. Not 2 days after installing a similar set up to yours (it was a mixer) I got a call “this new socket you’ve installed doesn’t work! Never under estimate how stupid / ingenious production workers can be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the machine/mixer is pretty bespoke in terms of its design and what it does. it was built in-house in a rather Heath Robinson style. Been around for almost 10 years now...its done well. But there is only one supply available to it, and no other accessories or fixtures that require three phase commandos for a 50ft radius. Therefore i guess on that level there is no chance of any of the peons plugging their electric toothbrush in or anything...

Hope your all well chaps

Reply to 3 pole contactor trouble. 230 v coil, 50hz. ADVICE PLEASE in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net